Chapter 9: A Well Deserved Break

It was another scorching day in Bangkok. Amanda took a sip of cold water from the cream-color with black polka-dots insulated water bottle in her car to refresh and hydrate. She closed the lid of the bottle and placed it back on the center console.

Nerves are slowly getting into the beauty queen as her grip on the steering wheel becomes tighter. She tried to control her breathing - inhale 3, 2, 1 and exhale 3, 2, 1.

Feeling a bit calmer, Amanda looked at the rear-view mirror to check her eyes. "You can do this."

She stepped out of her black car and locked it before heading towards the parking elevator. The operator tipped his red hat at Amanda, "Sawadee krab" he greeted.

"Sawadee ka" the Thai beauty replied, "Upper ground level, please"

A few moments later, the elevator door opens revealing an all white marble lounge with gold pendant light accents. Amanda steps out of the elevator and takes in what she sees. 28 Chidlom is for sure, Bangkok's most arresting building when it comes to modern architecture. Its clean and crisp design language perfectly synchronizes with the manicured greens outside.

Walking on what figuratively seems like the longest path she's ever walked on, more staff of the luxury residence bowed to greet her. She entered another elevator, something bigger and grander this time. "Eighteenth floor", she told the operator. When the door of the elevator closed, she shuts her eyes - counting the seconds until she heard a soft bell sound. Ding. This is it.

Amanda walks forward and into a familiar environment. Tropica plants line the edge, a light blue salt-water pool looking endless overlooking Bangkok's business skyline. This used to be her favorite spot.

She sees Joe finishing a lap. Amanda sits on an expansive white lounge chair, looking at the man whom she has spent two and a half years with.
Joe catches Amanda looking at him.

He smiles, "Hey, babe."

The man gets off the pool and grabs a white towel to dry himself. "Nice of you to drop by this early. I thought you had a meeting" he said before kissing Amanda on the lips, "I've missed you".

The beauty queen smiled weakly and bowed down her head.

"Want to grab an early lunch? Have you had breakfast?" Joe asked.

"It's okay, I'm still full", Amanda looked at Joe's blue eyes.

"Chris and Mary have booked a short holiday to Koh Samui next week. I was thinking we could join them. You know - get some rest and relax before your pageant kicks off. It'll be good for you" the man said while scrubbing the towel at the back of his head.

"We can have a nice oceanfront massage and visit the Rum Vault" he smirked.

"Joe, I can't. I have to stay focused and I still need to do photoshoots before I leave" Amanda replied.

The man with blonde hair looked at Amanda and sat beside her "it'll be only for three days. The weekend tops. Overnight if you want."

"I really can't. I've got plans set already."

Joe shrugged, "Okay, but if you change your mind let me know."