CHAPTER - 7

UNEXPECTED FRIENDSHIP

Just a while ago, I imagined what it would feel like to be loved by a ruthless killer who smells of apples. For the first time in my entire life, I am happily disgusted.

Nonetheless, I am back in my room now, clutching the pillow so hard, shaking up. That might be what being a maid means here, and I feel so sorry for Elena. If I were to escape from this place, I would try my best to take Elena and all the other maids with me albeit it was an awful idea.

I dial Olivia although I am not sure whether she'd be awake now, but I want to talk to someone. Even though it wouldn't be about my current situation, I'd be happy to have a safe conversation without being afraid of getting killed.

She doesn't pick up which is understandable since it's 2 am. I hear footsteps, and for no reason I wish it is Marcus, owing me an apology.

"Still awake?" A harsh voice asks me which doesn't belong to Marcus. The speaker emerges inside, twisting the doorknob even though it is opened. For a second, I just want to run away, but he'd catch me anyway.

"Yes," I reply, wondering what he's up to.

"I'm sorry," He apologizes, leaning on the door. I am unsure if he means it, but I know that he looks grumpy.

"Did Marcus ask you to?" I wonder because Aiden is not going to put his ego down, and definitely not for me.

"I'm a human too. I feel bad, alright? I mean, Ethan left you abandoned. You are stuck with us now. I overheard how Marcus teased you. You must feel bad. I just don't want to make you feel more miserable. There, I said it!" He chokes on his own words while sitting on the chair next to the bed lamp.

I couldn't speak but I sat staring at him. I detest Aiden and I think that Marcus is the good one, but the plates have turned. Aiden is the good one instead.

"Can you let me go?" I ask him in a low voice.

"I can't disobey Marcus. He wouldn't hesitate to kill me," He shakes his head, searching for something from the pocket and placing it in my hands.

"What is this?" I ask him.

"A candy," He smiles and looks outside the window as the breeze caresses his face.

"I feel sorry for you Lucy, very sorry. Marcus is the head, but it doesn't mean that there isn't someone above him who could control Vipers," He says, as I shiver in the breeze. I pick up my blanket and wrap it around myself while he continues.

"We're stuck here because we're the sons of the bigger Mafia. We'd be dead if we hadn't picked up this option. If I were to leave, I'd be dead," he says.

I don't know what to tell him while wondering why he is telling me all this. Totally couldn't connect the dots. Why would Aiden suddenly be nice to me? Even if he had a change of heart, why would he spill something personal?

"The thing is, once you're here, you go out only if you're dead," he whispers while I gasp in horror.

"Help me, please. I have a life outside this place and a dream to achieve. I cannot be stuck here forever. That's insane!" I plead with him to change his mind, but I can't even get a change in his facial expression.

"Get comfortable, Lucy," he says and walks out.

"Don't go," I say, as he walks backwards and sighs.

"Then, don't request things which I cannot do," He explains while he places himself on the seat.

"Tell me about you. How did you end up here?" I ask him, in an attempt to brighten up my mood with some interesting conversation. Well, what's more interesting than knowing the past of a kind guy ending up in the mafia and pretending to be ruthless.

"My father is a powerful mafia. Well, he rules the northern part of the country," he chuckles and looks at me.

"Vipers are not an independent mafia Lucy. It's run by the two most powerful mafia ever known to humankind. Marcus is the son of the first powerful family, the only son. While I'm the son of the second mafia. They didn't want to integrate, but they made us run Vipers so they'd stay united," he continues.

"Was that a secret?" I ask him.

"It's not a secret. It's just that the mafias know it, but common people don't," I get annoyed when he addresses it as 'common' people, but I don't bother to voice it out.

"Aiden," Marcus calls him, making me jump from the place I am sitting.

"Marcus," Aiden calls him back, as he motions me to stay silent.

"You should sleep, Lucy," Aiden tells me as I smile and nod. They both have left the place, but I don't have the energy to spy on them. Thus, I slide to the bed, pull the cosy bed sheets over and snuggle myself inside.

"Wake up," Someone taps my shoulder slightly, and I hear a clicking sound. I hope that it is coffee or something. Definitely a no to brush my teeth in a stink where Marcus washes blood. I wake up and scrub my eyes. Elena is standing next to the bed, waiting for me to wake up.

"You can go," I say to her, unable to bear her standing next to me. I am still affected by what I heard last night about being a maid.

"Boss asked me to stay with you, and ensure you don't use the balcony," she tells me and closes the balcony window, blocking the air supply.

"Ah." Predictable, I thought.

"Elena, I want to ask something. Also, please sit down," I ask her. She is sweating so she wipes her hands and sits on the chair where Aiden has placed himself last night.

"I can't help you to escape," She tells me, scrubbing the dirt within her nails.

"No, I just heard what being a maid means. I want to know whether you like this," I ask her. Feeling like an idiot, of course. She'd hate being here.

"I get good food and clothes but yeah. I get harassed when Marcus isn't around," she says, a bright smile on her face for the first time ever.

"Marcus isn't interested?" I ask her.

"He was interested in someone, but she was killed because of my father," she responds.

I couldn't believe that he was interested in someone. Is he even capable of those feelings?

"Who was that lady?" I ask her, curiosity ruining my manners.

"She was dead by the time I was taken in, almost eight years ago," I gasp. She was here for eight years? Eight sick years! I feel more sorry than ever.

"Ahh," I said, not knowing what else I could respond to the poor Elena