CHAPTER - 8

HAUNTING MEMORIES

"I wish you'd just let me in, just once," Susan clutched my arm as she slided under my chest.

"I can't Sugar. It's too dangerous. The things which haunt me are supposed to be secret. People will try to kill you for it," I said, pulling her closed, safely tucked in.

"I'm ready to do anything for you Marcy. I'd die for you," She told, tears dripping from her doe eyes. Everything around me blurred as she looked at me.

"I don't want you to," I kissed her hair, wiping her tears.

"Well, I don't want you to suffer alone either," She stood up, pulling me up on the balcony.

Lucy entered the balcony, I didn't know why I trapped her when Susan was already there. They looked at me, without uttering anything.

I wake up from a dreadful dream. The bedspread is covered with sweat, but the balcony is open, adding to my uneasiness. Then, I quickly close the balcony door and turn on the air conditioner. I lay thinking in my bed about Susan. The dream indeed is something that has happened in the past except the last part.

It is almost morning. The sun is just rising above the horizon. Taking a bath would clear my mind and lift the heavyweight from my chest. The shower has made me feel much better as the water traces through every inch of my body, dripping down my muscles. I wrap the towel around me and walk out. Then, the epiphany hits me that the air conditioner hasn't been turned off. Now I am feeling agitated by the cold.

I dress in a black suit with no tie which is my usual attire. Currently, I'm using the perfume which Susan loved. She didn't forget to get me the perfume every 3 months which is exactly when the perfume gets over. This has resulted in me buying the perfumes for myself now, a living memory of her.

"Marcus, I know why you didn't kill Lucy yet," Aiden screams as he enters the room. He slams the door so hard.

"I told you yesterday," I reply.

"You want to use her for your marriage ritual, don't you?" He gives me an evil look, and that's when I think of that possibility.

Our family despises women. We often describe them as unlucky. It all started when our grand-uncle, Dominic, was lured by his wife. He was brainwashed and seduced. She made him join his father and made sure he felt it made sense to attack his own brothers. Since then, it has been a ritual to kill the wife after the heir is born, making it look like an accident. Though the gang is free to have sexual pleasures, it's forbidden to let his wife last long. I can't betray my father, he'd kill me and my wife without a second thought.

I didn't marry Susan for this reason. She wanted to have kids with me, and often imagined a son who looked like me.

"Answer me," Aiden screams again, causing me to jerk a little, but it doesn't take me long to regain my posture.

"Yes," I lie. Maybe he would believe this one.

"You're sick!" He says as he launches himself out of the room. I check my watch and I realise that we have a meeting with the Runihuras about the territory issue.

"Jeremy," I call him. He then appears a few seconds later.

"Prepare for the drive to Sandalks. We're meeting the Runihuras," I say. Sandalks is an isolated place on the outskirts of the city which is managed by my father. It is a heavily armed place, and no one could easily penetrate.

"Yes, boss," He says, marching out of the room. I want to check how Lucy is doing, but I change my mind when Aiden turns up with Lucifer and Hayde. These are the people in my inner circle. They know about the deepest secrets of Vipers. Aiden is close only because we have an unofficial relationship.

"I checked the gang this morning. nothing unusual was planned," Lucifer tells me and I nod.

We walk towards the garage, and Hayde calls some of the Vipers to get in the cars behind us. Jeremy drives the car as usual, with Aiden sitting on the other front seat.

The weather is calming, everything feels so normal. The drive isn't long enough for me to overthink the dream that I have this morning, but the breeze has lifted my mood.

"We're here," Jermey announces as we drive inside the high compound building, securely guarded with armed men on either side. They bow as our car enters the building. The orange Audi is parked outside, Runiharas are already here.

Albeit I always feel almighty about being here, it still feels new as always as if I don't belong here before. We march towards the assembly hall, which looks more like a circular enclosed dome.

"Hello, Jr Rivera," Quinlan announces with a handshake.

"Long time," I answer as I sit opposite to him, placing my gun on the table. He doesn't react, even though it has made him feel anything.

"Yes," there is a hint of hesitation in his voice before answering.

"The northern states are ours, Mr Shaw. We believe that you've granted access for selling your goods," I chuckle, making it seem like I am joking.

"I presumed it was mine. My bad," he tells me nonchalantly as if he doesn't care.

Aiden grabs the gun on the table and points straight at Quinlan's head. A smile forms on his face as Quinlan's fear is obvious now, but he is smiling, grabbing the barrel right into his forehead.

"Lucy, that is such an amazing name, isn't it? It's common yet amazing," he laughs.

How could he possibly know about Lucy?

"She isn't alive," Lucifer spits back, trying to make it sound real.

"Well, we did try to kill Lucy today, but unfortunately she was stuck at my home. She wouldn't return unless you leave me alive out of here." He licks his lips as Aiden slowly removes the gun from his head.

"Shoot her," I order. I don't care about Lucy. The Mafia is more important than her.

"Esther, bring me that phone," He orders his secretary who looks as if she has seen a ghost. I have realised that she doesn't sign up for this.

"Esther," he shouts again. She then jerks and brings his phone.

"Call Rick," he said.

She begins dialling him while looking at Aiden's gun. Both of them are clearly petrified and flustered.

"Yo, boss. Should I leave her?" The voice on the phone asks him.

"Show her," He tells him, looking at me.

There she is, sitting in the chair with her hands tied behind. She looks drugged and unconscious, and her hair is messed up. I then suddenly see a hand holding it up. Her mouth is bleeding, and the cut on her cheek looks serious.

"Lucy," I whisper, trying not to cry or look angry. I don't know the reason for this anger. Loving her is out of my mind of course. I don't want to reassemble her with Susan but I'm feeling concerned for her instead. The fact that someone is forcing her to look up is something that I can't bear. She looks soulless although her eyes look milky and tired.

"Help," she mouths.

That is all I need to change my mind.

(*Runihuras - Egyptian, Destroyers )