Chapter 16: The Godspeed Girl

Rhiannon

_____________________________________________________________

 What is friendship?

Aristotle defines friendship as a single soul dwelling in two bodies. In my situation it’s three bodies, or should I say was. My friends were my soulmates. When you saw one, you saw all three. We made up this strange little puzzle, different pieces that didn’t exactly mesh well but we made it work like magic. Now those pieces are breaking apart and I’m seeing the magic that held us together is wearing off.

Clara made it clear that we’re no longer friends so she’s not speaking to me and vice versa. Kylie’s speaking to both Clara and me and Clara’s talking to her but I’m not speaking to Kylie. I know it all sounds very confusing but allow me to explain. This whole thing comes down to logistics. Kylie and I were friends first, because we’ve been friends for the most years she holds allegiance to me. When I asked her to stop talking to Clara who has the least amount of years invested in this friendship, she refused so naturally I had to cut her off.

This whole situation hasn’t been working very well for me.

First period was like getting hit by a triple whammy. When I looked to the left, there was Clara, looked to the right, there’s Kylie and when I looked back, there was Brandon. I couldn’t handle all three in one class, first period for that matter, which is why I’m having the stupidest argument with my guidance counselor about possibly switching classes.

“Rhiannon, I can’t just sign a switch form for you two weeks into the semester.” Mrs. Turner says, rummaging through a stack of papers on her small desk.

“I can’t handle first period Biology, Mrs. Turner.” I tell her again, almost spitting out her name. “I can’t hold down my breakfast looking at organs and intestines and next week we’re going to start dissecting frogs, frogs,” I throw my hands on her desk and begin to sob quietly. “Mrs. Turner my stomach will not be able to metabolize anything in the morning. I’ll be throwing up every morning until I graduate.”

She’s not even looking at me at this point. I guess my little spiel is not really working which means I need to turn it up a notch.

“This is my senior year, Mrs. Turner.” The tears are now flooding down my eyes. “This is the year where my grades matter the most. If I can’t perform at the best of my ability then I’ll fail and I won’t get into a good school and it’s already hard for as it is with getting my heart broken and being the laughingstock of the entire school.” I reach for a tissue to wipe my tears.

If Mrs. Turner has a heart this would be a good time for her to show it.

“Rhiannon,” she sighs scratching her unibrow. “So you want me to switch around first period biology with fifth period Public speaking.”

“Yes please, just look into it, that’s all I’m asking.” I sniffle.

“You know if I do this, Vice-Principal Sanders is going to have to sign off on it.”

I nod. I’m not worried about Sanders. Every school has their disgusting pervy teacher and that person here is Sanders. He’s always looking at us young girls with an extra stare, always winking and smiling gratuitously. He’s had an ongoing one sided love affair with my legs since they first set foot in the building freshman year. I have no doubt his perverted ass will sign off on this.

“I can’t promise this is going to happen immediately but I’ll look into it and keep you posted.” She says with that famous defeated look of hers.

I want to hug her, kiss her even and pet her little unibrow to show my gratitude.

“You’re dismissed, Ms. Penrose.” She says going back to her stack of papers as if she’ll ever find what she’s looking for in that mess.