Chapter 13

Almost two weeks later I was on the my plane to the Ruby Kingdom for Reidan’s birthday. I hadn’t questioned Clarence about the rebel meeting, or Colby about what his brother was doing there. The weekly meeting with my advisors went smoothly. Leah even mentioned how one of her fields caught on fire. Other than that there were no issues.

            The three secretaries I interviewed were all professional, but I didn’t like any of them. I recognized one as the blonde who John was so...familiar with, and another was someone I recognized from the rebel meeting as well. Instead, I hired Marie as my secretary.

            Yes, she was my personal maid. Yes, she didn’t have the degree. But she was the only one I could trust.

            Trust. Ha. I used to trust Clarence. I used to trust Colby. I used to trust John. But no more. They were plotting to kill me, them and who knows how many others that surrounded me on a daily basis. I kept Marie with me at all times. I told her, that if anything should happen, she should contact Reidan immediately.

            Reidan was the other one I could trust. I was wrong about everything, I can’t believe I fought with him last time! My plan was to get him alone sometime during his party and apologize. I looked at the basket of presents next to me. They were all part of the apology also. I knew he would love them.

            Marie sat across from me, cuddling my Loris in her lap. Together, the two of us spoiled him, and he was never put down or placed in his cage. Colby sat a few seats away, again messing with his phone, and Clarence sat next to him on his lap top. I would have brought Gracie, but she recently fell ill and couldn’t come. So I was stuck with Clarence.

            His cold demeanor continued being as frigid as usual, but I could tell he was surprise when I began reciprocating the act. I thought we weren’t close before, but now we were whole legions apart. And I was okay with that. I attempted treating Colby the same, but when he realized what I was doing, he pestered me until my resolve broke. I still kept my distance, but it wasn’t very big.

            “Excited to see all your friends from the other Kingdoms again?” Marie asked.

            I smiled. “Yes. Especially Mariah – you two should meet! You’d probably make great friends. I’m also looking forward to seeing Ladonna.”

            “The queen of the Aquamarine Kingdom?”

            “Yes. She was never super close, but hanging out with her was always fun. She was always so boy-crazy, I wonder what scandals she’s been involved in so far.”

            Marie laughed. “Sounds fun.”

            I laughed along, and Clarence glared back at the two of us when he thought I wasn’t looking. Our eyes met for a second before he turned away.

            My good mood dissipated and I looked down at my glass of water.

            “Anybody you’re dreading to see?” Marie asked.

            Besides Reidan, whom I have to apologize to?

            “Well, the Pearl king and the Peridot king were always stuck up.”

            “Ha. And what about the Imperial Prince?” Marie asked.

            I froze. “It’s complicated. I have a lot of things to apologize for. Everything he said was right. And I shouldn’t have thought otherwise.”