Chapter 8

It had been two days, and now, my room was finally done.

            The guest room had been nice, comfortable, and I was happy knowing that if anyone visited my home they would be comfortable as well. But it wasn’t as good as my own room.

            I’ve always felt very strongly about my room. Having my own space, being able to do what I want in it. There used to be a desk in the room, but I sent it out. My room was my home space, and I wanted to keep a clear distinction between my home and work life, which was hard considering that my home was also where I conducted all of my work.

            Today was the first day I would get the complaints from my people, and yes, complaints were a bad thing, but I couldn’t help but feel excited. Finally, I can get the feedback I need to help make my people’s lives better. They would also see that I am a responsible queen, I do care about them, and I can take care of them.

            Even during school, I’d like criticism. I felt like people would criticize me because they care enough about me to make me better. If they didn’t, then why bother?

            Clarence was waiting in my office by the time Colby and I got there.

            “Hello, Mr. Preston,” I said,

            He gave me a curt nod. “Your Majesty. The three hours you wished to set aside to go over the citizen’s complaints start in an hour. I thought it best to go over everything in the morning, so if there was anything super important you could take care that afternoon.”

            I glanced at my watch. The clock face, rimmed with little sapphires, showed that it was seven-thirty in the morning. So from 8:30 to 11:30 we would attend to the citizen’s complaints, then if need be we could attend to it later. It was a good idea.

            “Okay. Thank you for doing that; is there anything particular we have to go over before then?” I asked.

            Clarence shook his head. “Not that I can think of. Oh, I also need to remind you that in two weeks is the Imperial Prince’s birthday, and that you and one of your advisors is to attend.”

            A sudden knock on my door surprised us, and Colby looked at the screen next to the door. There was a camera on the other side, showing who it was, but the woman on the other side of the door wasn’t anyone I knew. She looked right into the camera and flashed us a bag. She was a delivery woman. Colby opened the door, then thanked her before closing it again, and handed me a package.

            The silver paper caught in the bright light emanating from the ceiling and blinded me momentarily. Once it was placed on my desk, though, the glare diminished and I stared at it dubiously. Cautiously, I reached towards the large red ribbon sitting on top of the small box, but Colby grabbed my hand.

            “It could be a bomb,” he cautioned.

            “Surely security would have scanned it before allowing the lady to bring it to me,” I said, unsure.

            “Yes, but remember the finger?” Colby said. “Nobody else had access to your office besides yourself. Yet someone still managed to get the finger in here.”

            “The finger look sort of old, didn’t it? It could have been there since the last king.”

            Colby shook his head. “Everything personal was removed before you go there. Even the secret drawer was checked.”