Chapter 16

Interactions between everyone were still strained. There were only a handful of people he hadn't wronged.

Dream knew Quackity didn't like him, and even knowing the situation, Dream couldn't bring himself to be all buddy-buddy with the guy who tortured him. He wasn't enjoying the phantom pains either, especially for his missing finger. The ex-prisoner also couldn't bring himself to feel absolutely no hard feelings towards Sam for letting it happen.

Sapnap and Dream's relationship was even more awkward. They had been brother-level close until the Dreamon had come along, and during that blurry period, Dream knew just how much he'd betrayed Sap. Learning it hadn't even been his friend, learning that he hadn't noticed Dream be replaced? That must've been a slap in the face for the blaze hybrid. Interactions were awkward, to say the least. He couldn't imagine how strained Sapnap's conversations with Quackity would be, though.

Talking to Tommy, and the rest of the minors he'd unwittingly traumatised, was probably the thing he hated the most, however. It was hard, trying to face things like that. He didn't remember much of what he'd actually done to them, but boy-oh-boy had he heard the recounts. He always made an effort to be as kind as possible, but left them alone for the most part; no need to remind them of the Dream that hurt them.

Overall though, Tommy was the only one of the trio who outright rejected his apology, even though none of the three were exactly eager to give him a real chance. Dream still wasn't allowed to meet Michael, which he figured was fair enough.

He crossed through the snow, making it to the wooden door and knocking lightly. After a minute, it opened to the golden-haired boy, who stiffened. "What the fuck do you want?"

The ex-prisoner took half a step back, not wanting to get too close in case the boy felt threatened, "Tubbo said you were learning Enderman, could you translate something for me?" The stubborn boy crossed his arms, staring blankly at the unmasked man. He took it as a sign to continue. "☊⊑⟒☊☍ ⏁⊑⟒ ⏚⟟☌ ⏁⍀⟒⟒. Does that mean anything to you?"

"Really? That's all you fuckin' wanted?" He groaned exaggeratedly, "All it bloody says is 'check the big tree'. Not sure what fucking big tree it means, but fuck off if you're done here." The door was slammed in the ex-prisoner's face. Well, that went about as well as he'd hoped. At least he'd gotten his answer, but what big tree could it mean? He'd have to ask around - it was probably something he'd missed during his time of possession.

.
. . .
. . . . .

It was hard, trying to get back to life but without him; without their missing third.

There were apologies to offer and arguments to resolve. There was so much to work out between them, and Karl's absence only carved the gap wider, driving the ache deep into their bones. Sapnap knew he'd give just about anything to have him back. But that just wasn't how it worked; you can't wish someone back to life, that had already been proven.

And so they worked to get by.

The blaze hybrid made an effort to visit Las Nevadas, spending almost all of his time in the area instead of returning to Kinoko Kingdom. The mushroom nation only hurt more, remembering the time he'd spent building it with his late fiance. Interactions with the beanie-wearing boy were awkward, but it was better than nothing; it was better than the months of radio silence between them previously.

This time, Sapnap was there to drag his fiance out of work, making sure the boy got the proper amount of rest without skipping meals. Quackity often tried to scowl at it, but it was clear he was more grateful for it than he could say. In return, Q made sure the bandana-wearing boy didn't spend too much time alone either.

It was tiring, but they made it work. Snappiness often slithered its way into the air, but any harsh quips were quickly apologised for, ending with a night spent for both to sleep on the couch with a movie.

.
. . .
. . . . .

He'd underestimated how much help asking around would be. No one knew anything about an especially big tree. Several suggested Ponk's Lemon City, since his Lemon Tree was inside the walls. So he and Ponk had checked the area several times, digging up nothing of the book nor anything that could be a clue to continue the search. So he continued asking around.

He encountered the mercenary heading over to check on Sapnap. "Punz, hey!" A nod and a grin was given in return; Punz was one of the only people to not seem hostile to him as a default. They'd both apologised to each other on mutual terms. "I was wondering if you had any idea about a big tree of any kind?"

They thought for a moment, "Maybe Ponk's Lemon Tree. What do you need it for?"

"Not Ponk's Lemon Tree, I already checked there," he shook his head, "I'm looking for something and I was told 'big tree' as a hint."

Eventually, Punz seemed to have an idea. "Actually, I was talking to Connor just a bit ago, and he told me about some stuff from when he'd abandoned the main SMP area. During his self-imposed exile, he found one of the larger variants of an oak tree, located at the top of a steep, conical hill. He said he called it Big Tree; placed a sign on it and everything. Maybe that's worth a check?"

The mercenary pulled up the coordinates for him, and the ex-prisoner thanked them profusely as he raced off. Yes! Finally a proper lead! He felt a lot better knowing exactly where the book must be, with the coordinates even typed out right in his Communicator. It was pretty far out from the main SMP, but he figured he'd make it before morning.

He crossed through the forest, having slowed to a walk. Was the Revival Book really such a good idea? He remembered the Dreamon's words. "You were all high and mighty about having to work hard to make it up to them, now you wanna negate that with a book?" Maybe it had a point. Having the book would be a bit of an excuse, wouldn't it? It wasn't a meaningful apology, it was simply an undo card.

But people would be alive. Conversations could be finished and the symphony completed. It didn't really matter what the intentions were; it was a gift for them, wasn't it? It would be a second chance for everyone. He smiled softly, knowing the Resurrection Book would be safely in his hands quite soon.

Then, as he was nearing the coordinates, he noticed smoke up ahead. He felt his blood turn to ice as he kept his eyes on the sky. What the fuck? Smoke never meant good things - a lot of stuff on this server seemed to have a habit of catching on fire. His eyes widened further as he noticed the large oak tree growing on a raised hill just in the next clearing over, hazed with smoke.

Breaking out of his daze, he sped up, racing to break the treeline. This had to be a coincidence, right? No one could've known the book was there. And if they did... who would ever burn it? The smell of smoke assaulted his nostrils, his eyes raking through the clearing to lock on the source. Eventually, he spotted it.

The ex-prisoner skidded to a stop, staring at the back of a boy in a blue onesie. The boy stood, simply looking down at a bonfire as the fire rose in height slightly, sending weirdly coloured smoke into the surrounding forestry. In the flames sat a book, crackling and burning.

"Do you even know what you just did?" Dream breathed, staring in horror as the label on the book - "Secrets of Resurrection" - blackened beyond recognition, "Connor, that was the Revival Book you just burnt."

"I know," the boy in the blue hedgehog onesie looked back at the ex-prisoner, glancing over his shoulder, "that was the plan." He simply shrugged, not seeming at all concerned, "I came all this way to do it, so I don't see why not."

"Because-" he struggled to find the words, "Because that was the Revival Book ! Those people deserved another chance to live!" He rushed forward, ducking around the sonic impersonator and crouching by the fire, attempting to reach in to see what was left of the book.

Connor gripped his wrist tightly, pulling the hand back from the flames. "Sorry Dream, but it's for the best."

The ex-prisoner glared up at the boy, "Don't you think they're entitled to coming back? They all died for no good reason! What if someone who you care about dies and we can't bring them back?!"

"Then I do what should have always been the only option," he persisted, "I grieve. I mourn their death and I remember their life. Then I move on. That's the way life should be." He eyed Dream as the unmasked man looked back into the flames, anguish swimming in his eyes. "If it makes you feel any better, he agrees with me."

The boy in the hedgehog onesie looked to the other side of the fire. The ex-prisoner furrowed his brow, looking up to see what he was staring at. Then his eyes widened. Staring down at the blackened book, a discoloured figure stood with a soft smile, multicoloured jumper torn and wounds adorning his skin. A baseball-sized scar covered 90% of his face.

"Karl?" He murmured under his breath. Ghostly eyes moved to him, a simple smile sent his way before the figure waned, fading from view under the lightening sky. It was surreal.

The sky swam with oranges and pinks, rays of light creeping through the clouds and reaching down to touch the earth. The trees around were lit with sunlight, a purple smoke hazing the clearing. The bonfire's flames died out slowly, leaving nothing but a smoldering mess of ash, blackened beyond recognition.

It was just them; an unmasked ex-prisoner and a boy in a blue hedgehog onesie; one kneeling with the other stood behind as they both stared into the dying fire. Neither moved first without prompt. It felt like hours before the final flicker of ash died to a dull glow. Finally, Dream's Communicator buzzed, and he pulled it out to check the message.

<CaptainPuffy whispers to Dream> My little duckling, are you okay? You didn't come back last night and we're worried, we miss you!

He smiled softly. The ex-prisoner glanced up slightly as the sonic impersonator dumped a bucket of water on the scorched earth, but quickly looked back down to the screen, typing out a response to the sheep.

There were others who wouldn't be home; who would never be home now; but he'd done what he could for the time being. Maybe that was it for now. That's what he told himself at least. The server was finally back to peacetime after all, and he was determined to keep it that way.

<Dream whispers to CaptainPuffy> Don't worry, dad, I'll be home soon.

.
. . .
. . . . .

They'd decided to memorialise Kinoko Kingdom.

No one stayed there anymore; no one wanted to. There was too much - too many unfinished conversations, too much exclusion of someone important to them, too many books Karl would never get to finish writing. And so no one touched it. Except for one place.

At the base of the sakura tree, a simple plot was dug up. They buried the body there, having delicately cleaned him up as much as they dared. They held a small funeral one sunset, only a few attendees with others leaving their condolences after the ceremony.

The sun had set, making way for the darkness clawing across the sky. As the crickets started chirping, droplets of rain began their descent. The air was heavy, even the beginnings of a downpour only served to let the cold bite right through their thin layers of clothing. Their hands were clasped together firmly, as if the slightest loosening of the hold would let them both spiral down into the darkest depths of it all.

They stood on the narrow ledge, gazing over the rim of the stars of the End; did they both wish to move forward without their third, or to burn the bridges that remained? If the former, he shall wait for them in time.

If the latter, may they both be found in a week, after the phantoms have had their say.

...

Silently, they laid the third ring on the mound of dirt at the base of the tree, where fallen cherry blossoms decorated the soil.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*a line or two at the end was inspired by both the book Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto, and then also the song In A Week by Hozier.*

Well... That's all, folks. It's been a long ride (well I guess this only started in April, but hey) and I'm really thankful to you guys for following this story. I don't have plans for a sequel, but there are other fics I plan to write.

This story started just as a way for me to grow in my skills as a writer and I really didn't plan to keep writing, but you can thank my friend Nat for giving me the ideas to keep on writing chapters. Thank you to my s/o Yuki for motivation as well.

This is the first writing project larger than a one-shot that I've actually managed to finish, and I'm really proud of this one! Anything I could've done better? I want some thoughts on the ending especially. I didn't want to necessarily make it too sad, however things also can't just be nullified by an undo button.

The ending is a bit up to interpretation on whether they chose to move forward or to burn the bridges that remained, however... Personally, I don't think they did give up. I like to think they managed to keep going.