Chapter Six

Sunday passed by pretty quickly, Shikadai able to sleep in. His mother surprisingly didn't wake him up or hound him once. He had no reason to leave his room and he definitely didn't. He stayed cuddled up against his pillow until dinner time, Boruto last minute asking if anyone wanted to hang out. Shikadai found himself tempted to say no but knew he needed to go somewhere. He can't spend all day just imagining stupid scenarios about Inojin that would never happen.

Shikadai rolled out of bed, quickly throwing on the first pair of sweatpants that he sees. He really hoped Boruto didn't plan anything fancy to go to. But knowing him, it was probably just a hang out at whatever new greasy food joint he enjoys this month. Shikadai was fine with that.

The Nara throws his hair up into a messy bun before leaving his bedroom. He headed down the stairs and was surprised to see his parents at the kitchen table. Sunday is usually their date night. Oh, how he wished they were on a date right now.

"Oh my god, what happened to your face." Temari's cry filled the silent room and Shikadai should've just snuck by. He definitely didn't forget about his black eye and swollen cheek. The pain shot through him every time he made any expression.

"Just some asshole." Shikadai mumbles, tensing up when his mother meets him where he's standing. Her hands are roaming his face and Shikadai didn't have the heart to tell her how bad it hurt when she put pressure on it. Temari's face was full of concern and Shikadai hated the way his heart pang. He hated seeing his mother like this.

"I'm fine, Mom, really," Shikadai says, Temari finally letting his face go.

"I just worry about you." Her mouth was in a sort of scowl and Shikadai found himself sighing.

"I know. I have to go meet up with Boruto." Shikadai states, hoping to rush this conversation. It worked, because his mother nodded, stepping back for him to walk past. After a quick goodbye and a small lecture, Shikadai was finally able to leave the house. He could hear his mom ranting to his father as he left. What a drag.

It didn't take long to reach Boruto's house and Shikadai couldn't stop his eye roll that came from seeing Sarada. Of course, she would be here and of course, they'd be sitting on the porch, lips locked to each other. He's really been trying to be nice to her, even including her in certain conversations at lunch. He always regrets it though. Shikadai let out a sigh of relief when Metal and Chocho exited the house. At least, other people took Boruto up on the offer.

Shikadai almost debated if he wanted to go home but the idea of his mom questioning him all night didn't sound fun. Not to mention, Boruto and Sarada stopped sucking faces long enough for the blonde to notice him. He waves him over and Shikadai finally makes it to the house.

A chorus of greetings erupt from his friends and for some reason, Shikadai felt deep loneliness in his heart. It almost made him feel guilty to hang around his friends and smile.

"Glad you could finally join us," Chocho says, a grin on her face. Shikadai smiles back softly, shrugging as he shoves his hands into his pockets. In the span of that minute, Boruto had shoved Sarada off him and was now standing beside the Nara.

"Yeah, I'm starving." Boruto injects, clamping a hand over Shikadai's shoulder.

"You're always starving." Sarada states from beside the blonde. It was like she couldn't stand his attention not on her. Shikadai found it so ironic, especially considering how annoyed she got from him only a few months ago.

"Let's go then," Shikadai says, nodding his head in a tilted motion. He wasn't sure if they were planning on driving or walking but by how Boruto was headed, Shikadai assumed the latter. That means they're probably going to the same old burger joint they always go to. Shikadai was fine with that.

AN: I know this chapter was short and I apoligize but I really couldn't go anywhere with it without it sounding choppy

AN: I know this chapter was short and I apoligize but I really couldn't go anywhere with it without it sounding choppy. The next chapter is probably gonna be just as short but I got a new laptop so I'll be updating this more. I was thinking about writing various Boruto One Shots so please let me know if that's something you would read.