Chapter Two

Shikadai walked through town, noting all the disgusting displays of affection he saw. It seemed like every couple in the neighborhood was out and on each other just to spite Shikadai. It's definitely not like he's jealous. He's made it clear that he isn't into relationships. It's just so nasty to shove it in other people's faces. Speaking of, Shikadai notes that Boruto and Sarada were doing just that at Ichiraku Ramen. Sarada was sitting on Boruto's lap and she was acting like she would die if their faces came apart. That's how they've been since they got together last month. Shikadai couldn't find it anymore annoying. He was supposed to watch after Boruto and keep him out of trouble but the only thing he's watching is a constant make-out session. He felt bad for Teuchi because he's sure the old man was on the other side of the counter somewhere. 

"Get a room." Shikadai snaps as he makes it over to them. The two teens pull away from each other, turning to see who said it. They visibly relax when they realize it was just Shikadai. Shikadai decided to keep his mouth shut about the lipstick that was on the side of Boruto's mouth. 

"Hey, Shikadai," Sarada greets, the Nara sending her a head nod. He takes the seat next to them, noting that Teuchi has expanded his seating. Maybe it's been like that for a while. Shikadai hasn't been here since he was 12 years old. 

"What brings you around Ichiraku?" Boruto asks and Shikadai really didn't know. He was just walking. Shikadai shrugs, looking around. There wasn't anyone else in the restaurant than he recognized, the majority being adults. 

"Wasting time." Shikadai finally answers and that ended the topic. He grew bored there quickly, Sarada and Boruto mumbling sweet nothings to each other. They were so quiet and yet Shikadai could hear everything they said. God, they're still in the honeymoon phase. 

Shikadai yawns, stretching his arms as he stood up. The movement was enough to get Boruto and Sarada to focus on him again. 

"Leaving already?" Boruto asks a hint of amusement in his voice. Shikadai puts his arms back down, nodding. 

"Yeah, not sure what I wanna do today." He says, before walking away. He knew it was rude to not say goodbye but it's also rude to ignore your best friend for a girl. 

Shikadai continues his walk through the town, his hands shoved in his pockets and his head down. A red ball kicks past him but he ignores it, avoiding the two kids who run by. It brought him back to times of him and Boruto and even Metal spending the entire day playing ball. That was before they hit puberty and suddenly the only thing that mattered was the pretty girls in the class. Shikadai was starting to think maybe something was wrong with him. He's never been too interested in girls. When he was fourteen and Chocho would flirt with him constantly, it made him more annoyed than awkward. Chocho was pretty but she never made him feel a type of way. No girl has ever made him feel a type of way. He tried to be included in all the conversations and things but he just found no interest in them. As pretty as Yodo and Tsuru were, he's never had the thoughts that all his friends constantly talk about. 

Speaking of friends, out of nowhere, Chocho comes up and almost plows Shikadai down. She did not look happy. 

"What's wrong with you?" Shikadai asks as Chocho continues on the walk with him. 

"Those skinny bitches laughed when I said I wanted to join the cheerleading squad." Chocho practically explodes, making Shikadai roll his eyes. He knew Chocho got bullied for her weight sometimes but he stayed out of that shit for the most part. He didn't need to stress himself out with popularity and drama. He was graduating next year. That's all that mattered to him.

Chocho must have noticed she was getting a response or that Shikadai just didn't care because she keeps going. 

"It's just so annoying," Chocho complains before shoving a potato chip in her mouth. Shikadai looks away, uninterested in her chewing. He didn't find it that appealing. He looks at the buildings, the same old ones at every corner. He was bored of this town. Everyone else seemed to be as well because he and Chocho were the only ones outside right now. It seemed completely different than just twenty minutes ago. Shikadai just wanted to get away. Away from school and home and even his friends. He hates to say it but even Chocho and Boruto are no longer piquing his interest. Something changed as soon as they hit high school. They're too worried about social groups and popularity instead of just living life. Shikadai doesn't understand why anyone in his friend group tries. Chocho is too big for any of the cheerleaders to befriend her. They've made it painfully clear. Boruto is too annoying, Sarada is too nerdy, and Metal is too lame. It's not going to change overnight. 

Shikadai zones back in when he notices movement out of the corner of his eye. Yamanaka Flowershop. There was a blonde boy there, shutting the doors. Shikadai knew he was closing the shop. He's worked at that flower shop for as long as Shikadai could remember. He was pretty sure there are some labor child laws about that. They've never talked or even acknowledged each other. Shikadai never even spent too much time looking at him. He had no reason to. He was just a shop worker. 

"Have you even been listening to me?" Chocho asks, making Shikadai reluctantly look away from the blonde. 

"Yes, Chocho. I'm not deaf." Shikadai says before turning his attention back to the blonde. Unsurprisingly, he was gone.