Chapter 8 - Where the Angels Dare Not Tread

It’s like the devil and God
are feuding inside of me
And the view from the two’s
are dividing me
Split my mind into two
start revising me
Read reviews, needs to choose which side is me… (The song is the title) (James Arthur)

  (Flashback)

      I never felt such a need to set tears free as much as I do now. Not even when they collected us from our maman. But as I stand here, looking into her room as she slept; the need was far too strong to ignore, and I hated that I was now breaking my promise of never leaving. And it hurts me deep down inside.

 “It is time young prince,” This coming from one of God’s advisers.

     It’s not that one gives advice to God, but of advice to those who need it, mainly us descendants of Angels. We are each given a mentor. I take a shaky breather from the feel of his hands clamping down onto my shoulders, as I’ve nothing to part from the cracked doorway, as I gazed on at a sleeping Ziya. I just hope she doesn’t hate me for too long. Hopefully one day she would understand why it is I had to leave her.

 “Can’t we wait a bit longer?” I asked with desperation, a need so strong to not leave my place beside the door. I knew my brother too was walking around and peering at everything to stash it into memory, and saying his unsaid goodbyes within his mind. We had to be gone before anyone awakens.

  “God has been waiting far too long for it to be prolonged any further. My prince, you know what the both of you must do now. Know that when you leave here, you won’t be able to hear me, but you must look out for the signs we lay out for you. You must be your own adviser, and to those you must guide.”

I bite my lip harshly, barely taking note of the pain as a few tears finally won the battle of wills, and rolled down onto my cheeks. Nothing will be the same after today.

  “Do you think she will hate me?” I asked.

“Unlike you and your brother, no one else will recollect any of what is before them now. I’m afraid she won’t remember you to instill hate for you.

    My lips trembled, you would think I would feel better that she wouldn’t have hate in her heart for me. However it was far worst knowing she wouldn’t remember our time together. I would remember her for every second of the day, but it wouldn’t be the same for her. I would remember her smell, and she wouldn’t know of my own. I would- I will keep on loving her, but she will forget she every loved me.

      With one last glance, I turned away from the door and followed my mentor towards the drop off. My brother stood beside his own mentor, his eyes misted; the tell tale sign that he too had been crying.

      “Years from now, the both of you must lead them to their amulets. Each will be where they're from, where either their father or mother had left it. You both must be very aware of the evil, but be sure not to have evil be aware that you are not blind to its wickedness. Be true to yourselves, some will be tempted to turn sides, but you must be strong and wise to turn them back to the right direction. Now my Princes, you must go.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     A hand laying on my shoulder yanked me out of my memories. I knew it was him, so I just kept staring out the window of my room as I fiddled with the silver bracelet around my wrist. 'I Promise - Z' was the words engraved in cursive on the piece of metal. It was the gift she gave me a few days before I had to break that promise. Even though she doesn't remember, it still hurts my heart.

"She no remember Lau. They all no remember. Don't beat yourself up about a promise that she doesn't even remember."

"It's not just that. She no remember anything. All the memories we shared. It's like they never happened; as if it was all just my imagination." I wanted to tear up, but I had to stay strong; not just for me but everyone else.