link x champion!reader

TRIGGER WARNING(S): anxiety, sh/suicidal thoughts, implied character death

for I_am_a_ded_f1sh

"Hi, Link!" you beamed, approaching the blonde with a slight spring in your step. He turned, the light catching his face in a way that made you blush ever so slightly. "I haven't felt this way in weeks, but I'm finally free from things to do! Zelda told me yesterday that I could take today off, wanna spend it together?"

He signed hello, then nodded slightly. The two of you went to Zelda's study, asking if she wanted to tag along. She smiled politely, looking between you and Link, then declined your invitation, insisting she had work to do. With that, you made your way to Mabe Prairie on horseback, letting your steeds roam the fields as the two of you sat down upon a fallen tree. With a light grin, Link watched Epona lazily trot around, and you felt the corner of your own lips tug as well. He turned to look at you, head tilted to the side in confusion.

"Nothing. It's nice to see you so relaxed." The blonde rolled his eyes playfully, signing 'you too' as a response. Suddenly, he jumped up from the log, and gestured for you to stay sat down when you attempted to stand. You sat back down, slightly confused, and watched him disappear into the fields nearby.

Link returned moments later, with flower upon flower laden in his arms. Understanding dawned upon you. He wanted to make flower crowns together! The knight sat back down upon the log, setting the variety of the plants onto your lap. Then, he sat by your side and looked at you expectantly.

"Oh, I see. You want me to make them while you just watch, right?" you asked, with an exasperated shake of the head. Link nodded. "Wow. Truly no shame."

The blonde picked up his favourite flowers from the pile, then took the rest and put them by his side. By perfect coincidence, the ones left were all favourites of yours. You looped the flowers around one another in record time, unaware that the male's eyes were watching every tiny movement. They were truly full of adoration, your perfect image reflected in a sea of cerulean. Link quickly glanced away, pretending he wasn't staring at you with lovesick eyes, acting surprised as you placed the ring of foliage onto his head.

You made the second one for yourself, then dragged Link upwards by the hands. He held onto them tightly, smiling every second. As the blonde began to twirl you around, you let out a slight laugh - an angelic sound to him, he thought - and kept dancing for what felt like seconds. This clearly wasn't the case, for you felt your body become increasingly tired as you went on. The pair of you collapsed onto the ground with a smile, and you held your sides as you laughed. It seemed to be infectious, for even Link chuckled lightly.

You gasped. "No way! I haven't heard you laugh in forever!" The two of you gazed at each other for a moment in silence, and you couldn't help but observe his face as the rays from the sun bathed his face in a golden light. You moved slightly closer to him. "Link, I..."

Oh goddess. This was it. Your feelings were about to pour out of you, and you weren't going to be able to stop it. Time stood still for you as you tried to form the words in your mind before they spilled out of your mouth. No, that was stupid. Link loves Zelda, you thought. He won't feel the same way. "I noticed that your flower crown came off." Mentally cursing yourself, you picked up the crown from the floor and gently placed it onto his golden locks. "That's all..."

You slammed your diary closed, throwing the pen onto the bed. In your frustration, you covered your face with your hands and kicked like a little child.

"[Name?] What's wrong with you?!" you cried, furious that you had been too cowardly once again. Turning over, you laid onto your back with a huff, staying still for a moment as a new plan formulated itself in your mind. A part of you prayed that Zelda had nothing for you to do tomorrow, as she said you were free for today.