18. god, i hope i get it 🎭

We haven't talked in a week.

We haven't talked in. A. Week.

This is the longest I've gone without talking to him and it sucks. It feels like I'm constantly carrying a giant weight of guilt on my back, and for what?! I'm not the one in the wrong here!

Anyway, me and Sierra wait outside room two-twenty-seven along with the rest of the theatre department. It's one acts audition day.

Bouncing in the hall are voices of students practicing the monologues, and others speculating who's going to be casted in what senior's show based on the past shows they've been in, and how close they are with the directors.

"Wow...here I am again. In line next to the lockers. It feels just like the start of freshman year!" Sierra comments.

"How do you feel being back with us?" I ask.

"It feels good. It feels nostalgic. But I also feel like I'm right back at square one. Man I hope I'm in more than one this year...I'm literally a professional actress now I have to get at least ONE lead here. So, are you still going to the dance with Aaron?"

"Uh...I dunno. After our fight last weekend, I'm not sure I even want him to be my boyfriend anymore." I answer.

"Aww, Kiara....I'm gonna be honest with you. Please don't let Aaron go. He seems like such a sweet guy for you."

"I don't need sweet, I need to know if he has my back or not."

"Well, sweetness wouldn't hurt you. And he's a rich white kid from the suburbs, he's obviously not going to know everything."

"It's not my job to educate him. And all the more reason to break up, why would I want to be with someone who doesn't understand me?"

"If he loves you, he'll try. And I have total confidence that he WILL try. He was your partner for the recital, remember? Please give him a second chance."

I sigh. "He sees the world in a way I wish I did."

Sierra shrugs. "Maybe you need a dreamer in your life. Three-fourths of us are realist as hell."

Then, we see Iris coming up the stairs and making her way to the line.

"Hey!" She greets.

Iris steals a monologue from the table next to us.

"I overheard the seniors talking about the shows they're directing earlier at lunch, so here's the lineup from what I've heard so far. Clue, 21 Chump Street—"

I gasp. "OOO. That one's going to be fun."

"A compilation of SNL skits, our show, obviously, and Alice In Wonderland." She finishes.

I look at Sierra's reaction. Drool dribbles down her chin. I can't help but snort out laughing.

"Sierra—are you drooling?!" I yell.

Sierra immediately wipes her chin with her forearm.

"What—It's a GOOD lineup! I'm surprised you're not drooling."

"Do you think Heaven will let us in her show? I mean, it IS about us..." Iris says.

"I dunno. Is it right? It seems like favoritism." Sierra adds on.

Aaron's words haunt me again: Do you think you'll get casted in hers?

I scoff. "Who cares. We never point it out to them, they have no right to point it out to us."

Then, one of the juniors supervising the line calls the next person's name into the room.