II: Rising Thorns

To Rigel, guarding Pia Castellano is one of the most boring parts of being in the security team. The mafia royalty doesn't really involve herself in the more "interesting" (shady) parts of the business. She's more into the legal and facade matters.

However, guarding Pia Castellano is her only escape from the unnecessaries.

The Nightshade head will probably not appreciate her presence. She couldn't risk the fragile "faux pax" between the two powerful mafia houses.

Thus, here she is, standing ram-rod straight, watching over Ms. Pia like a hawk.

The woman is not that hard to spot.

Years of working for the Castellanos have instilled into her mind every line and curve of the two's physique; and besides, who wouldn't miss those dark brown locks and deep blue Spanish orbs? She could even follow that strong accent with her eyes closed.

"It's good to see you here, Mr. Williams."

"Ms. Castellano", a willowy man with receding hairline beams at her mistress. Rigel frowns. His polkadotted tie stands out like a sore thumb on his gray suit. "It's good to see you here too. How is your metalworks business?"

"Doing great..." Pia snatches a flute of champagne from a passing server. "With your supplies, we are able to produce cheap but high-quality products. I'd like to express my company's gratitude."

"It's just good business..." he raises his glass for a toast.

"Yes, good business... speaking of which, it has come to my attention, Mr. Williams; our contract is about to end. My brother told me that he'd like you to remain as our supplier."

"Hm..." Mr. Williams purses his lips, then takes a sip from his drink. "There might be a slight problem with that..."

"And what could that be?"

"I've already signed a contract with Ms. Riverworth"

Riverworth...

Pia downs the remaining contents of her champagne flute.

She needs to find a new supplier... Luis will be furious. Chances are, there'll surely be an increase of prices. Their sales will plummet.

Unconciously, the worst possible scenario begins playing over and over again in her head. Call her pessimistic if you will, but to Pia, she's just doing the best thing a businesswoman could ever do.

The crowd suddenly succumbs into murmurs. There's an evident change in the atmosphere. Unease washes over them like Hawaiian waves.

Hawaii... she laughs at herself. She could really use a vacation right now.

"It seems Ms. Riverworth has arrived", Mr. William's voice wakes her up-something quite new.

Pia follows the direction of the older man's gaze, and there- there, she sees the tallest woman she has ever seen.

Lara Riverworth strides through the crowd as if she owns the place. Her pure white designer business suit feels like power on her skin... towering other women at the height of 6'1", and a red-head at that, she should indeed feel special and unique. Her muddy brown gaze scans the tent for Marcus Nightshade- the host and her goal.

It's a given that the two of the best young businessmen would have to face each other sooner or later. Either they'll be the best allies or the worst enemies. But today, she's not really here for business.

She chose this specific moment for something else.

Someone tries to get her attention by clearing her throat.