Darkling and Child Alina Interactions

.・゜゜・NIGHTMARES・゜゜・.

Whispers shatter the silent glass of the night, an out-of-place hush down a hallway. The Darkling hears the words and cranes his head over. He recognizes the soft voice, Genya. Except she shouldn't be awake right now, let alone near the young Sun Summoner's rooms. A stream of unease trickles under his calm and he strides down the hallway.

The Darkling reaches the room as Genya lifts her hand to open the door. Upon seeing him, she jumps and a dark brown liquid dribbles down the side of the mug she carries.

"General Kirigan." Genya says quickly, bobbing her head in a bow.

The Darkling looks to the yellow crack of the young Sun Summoner's door. "Is something wrong? It's nearly sunrise."

Genya looks away and grips her mug tighter. "It's nothing sir."

The Darkling's face remains in stiff coldness. "I had asked you to bring me reports of our young Summoner. If I get the feeling you're hiding something from me..."

He lets his voice drip off and watches the effect it has on Genya. She looks to the doors again.

"The Sun Summoner has....... nightmares, sir. I usually stay up with her and bring her hot chocolate."

Ah, so that was it. The Darkling's unease is whisked away and he feels a relived sigh let loose through his chest.

"Here," he holds out his hand, "You may return to your room. I will deliver the hot chocolate myself."

Genya protests silently with an open, flapping mouth, much like a fish. He could see the distrust in her eyes, the thin, wane concern. But she couldn't outright turn down his request, not with his authority.

She hands over the mug reluctantly and lingers moments after. The Darkling watches her leave, then takes a second to breathe. He slowly nudges the door open, knocking on it as he enters.

"Hello." He says, closing the door with his foot behind him.

The Sun Summoner sits up in her bed, wide brown eyes watching him. A blush sizzles itself over her cheeks at the sight of him and Alina's eyes seem to widened even more.

"Darkling?" The sheets strain around her as she pulls them to her chest with small fists.

He smiles inwardly at the name, she never calls him anything else. The Darkling makes his way to the side of her bed and carefully lowers the mug towards her.

"Here, I've brought you something to drink."

Alina hesitates and for a minute the Darkling doesn't think she'll take it. But she eventually reaches out. The Darkling strains to hide a smile when he sees her small hands struggling to hold the mug. He moves himself to lean on the corner of her bed, crossing his arms and watching.

Alina shakes as she drains the mug, her eyes peeking over the edge at him. They both have a habit of watching each other. The Darkling was always more intense, setting his entire attention solely on her. But Alina was far softer, gazing with the wondrous, amazed eyes of a child.

When she finishes, the Darkling puts the mug in her bedside. He then leans back against her bed and cocks his head to the side.

"How long have you been having nightmares?"

Alina doesn't answer, she just looks down. She may have the wonderment of a child, but she was 9, old enough to be embarrassed about her troubled sleeping.

"I have them too." The Darkling confesses. Alina's head snaps up.

"Really?" She questions.

He nods, then waits for her to speak.