ALMOST LOVER

JUSTINE'S P.O.V

I drove off to this house of somebody I knew. Or you may say, a rival. I wanted to clear everything. She can't be that girl who puts everything at risk just because she wants to know where her boyfriend is. She can't be a normal girlfriend whenever it's with Toby. I should brief her with stuff I know. I don't want her to feel bad. It's enough with me. No more Justine's kind of broken heart.

"Sheryl, it's me. Are you home?" I called her.

"Justine? Hey...uhm yeah, I'm home. Where are you?"

"Outside. We need to talk. Can I come in?"

"Oh sure. I'll open the door."

I let my phone on the passenger seat by my right side. I drove further to her carpark. Glad I think it's nobody home but her. We surely need to have a serious talk.

"Hey..." She opened the door for me.

"How you doing?" I hugged her and stepped inside the house. "Wow, can't believe I've never actually been here before."

"Yeah... Hey come in. I'm making tea and cookies. You want some?"

"That's very kind of you, thank you."

I took a seat on her balcony. It's amazing. She has a big house. As far as I know, her father is quite a successful businessman. Her mother owns a salon downtown. Busy parents, but Sheryl never have less than she expects.

"So...what is it about?" She brought couple cups of tea and a plate of cookies.

"Thank you. Uh...it's about Toby actually." I repositioned myself.

"You like him, do you?"

Sheryl shooted me right in the face with that question. I screamed 'yes' inside to the top of my lungs, but ended up vanish in my throat as I groaned and chuckled. Deep.

"Wait what? You think so? Wow girl, we have to talk about mostly everything." I smiled. "No. I don't like him."

"Oh thank goodness... I don't want to be your all time enemy by dating him because I know who you are." She said politely.

"Oh Sheryl. No. Listen, in fact, I bother to come here because I want you guys to listen to me. About that thing..."

"Toby told you? I know. It's my fault."

"You want some piece of advice from a friend?" I held her hand.

"Please brief me." Sheryl bowed her head.

"Okay. Listen to me carefully. He's my best friend since the very first day. You know that. But you're also my friend now. I don't want any of you to get hurt. So please. Sheryl, whenever it's about Toby, you have to let it go. If he's gone for days, let him be. You can't hold his leg in one side because he's the fastest runner I've ever known. Meaning, he and his band are unstoppable. You know that. He even left me for months without any notice and only repaid it by a single Starbucks hang. Guess what? I can't complain. Neither can you."

"I know..."

"See? When you said yes to be his girlfriend, means your life has changed. People will love and hate you at the same time for no reason. You will be left alone at most of time. You have to be okay when he ditched his own promises. It's all plain. Make it easy. You're the luckiest girl for his fans. But even luckiest position requires bigger heart."

"I'm truly sorry... He might have gone by now." She started to cry.

"Oh no. Not at all. He needs time. He came to my house earlier because he needs a talk. And I said exactly the same thing to him. To stay around." I smiled.

"How could I thank you..." She rushed to hug me so deeply.

"Actually, you can." I released her. "By promise me one thing."

"Not to hurt him anymore? Not to catch over him too much?"

"No. By not trusting anyone who says I love him." I held my breath and tears so hard so she wouldn't see.

"I...will... Thank you so much Justine you're very kind. Toby's so lucky to have you for all these years." Sheryl hugged me again.

"And now, he has you. You're better than me. And he will always listen to you. Because you're what? Haha. His girlfriend." I chuckled awkwardly. "Promise?"

"With all my heart."

I took a deep breath, faking a smile here and there as we sipped our tea. Even a cookie was hard to be swallowed. Cool. She has promised. My job has done. I don't want to be Toby's girlfriend because of early judgement that he thinks he doesn't love Sheryl anymore. It took them 3 years to be at this point. Therefore I don't buy his reasons. I know my almost lover. He still loves Sheryl. I just have to straight things up.

"Good." I giggled, continuing our unspoken thoughts.

"Yeah. I think we can be best friends." She sipped her tea. "Oh Justine, do you have boyfriend?"

"Uhm...guess what. That's a funny thing about Toby. He yelled at my face today because I told him I'm dating somebody. He didn't trust me. Dork." I rolled my eyes.

"Oh hahaha pardon him. Who's he? Do we know him?"

"No unfortunately you don't. Somebody from my..." I choked. "Friend. He's like a friend of a friend of my friend."

"Hard." She squinted her eyes.

"That's why your boyfriend messed my room to check on his photo. I really want to kill him at some point." I groaned. Fake groan.

"Oh my gosh I'm sorry for him." She laughed happily. I think I did a good job.

"Haha. Alright girl I think I should go. Mom needs the car." I walked outside. "Thank you for the afternoon tea."

"No. I thank you for coming here and checking on me. I owe you everything. Thank you for saving us."

"That's piece of cookie." I smirked. "Bye Sher!"

"See you!"

She was waiting outside til I drove my car away from her house. Main job, checked. Done. Whatever happens, happens.

But I never want to see you unhappy
I thought you'd want the same for me
Goodbye my almost lover
Goodbye my hopeless dream
I'm trying not to think about you
Can't you just let me be
So long my luckless romance
My back is turn on you
Should've known you'd bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do...

Suddenly this song came up on the radio. I was only a block from my house but couldn't drive safely anymore. My feet were trembling. I couldn't breathe. All blur. I pulled over my car at the corner of the street. Crying.

Damn, it's hard.