I LOST HER

TOBY'S P.O.V

"Toby, are you there? Can I come in?"

A girl's voice, most likely Justine's, spoke from my door but I locked myself in so she couldn't come inside. I groaned a bit. It was a great power nap for a long exhausted day. Good afternoon, everybody.

"Just a moment girly! I'm changing!" I shouted back.

Few minutes later I was ready to open my door but I tend to look outside to our carpark. Well, it wasn't Justine's car. Besides, she's not suppose to be here, considering I just got back home from hers. Why would she take a ride back and forth in the same day.

"Coming!" I unlocked the door. "Hey Ju... Sher?"

"Hey." She hugged me tightly. "Did I bother your nap?"

"What you're doing here?" I stepped aback, but she kept walking toward me, going further inside my room and locked the door.

"I come to apologize." Sheryl looked at me in the eyes. "I made mistake, babe. I know that."

"Wait what?" I cursed inside. "How could you..."

"I was too eager to deny your explanation. But after Justine told me what to do and why it does matter to you, I now understand. I'm so sorry... And yes, I also have asked for forgiveness for your brothers. They were downstairs and let me in. So no, if you're asking that, I'm not sneaking in." She chuckled.

"I...am not accusing you for sneaking in. I'm just... Justine?" I said it over and over again. How stupid.

"Yes. Justine. She's one biggest-hearted person I've ever known. She literally helped me to understand the pieces that you probably have tried to convince me but I didn't listen."

I was staring at the wall behind her. So hurtful to know Justine stepped aback from me by doing this. I can't believe it's just over that way between us. With her letting Sheryl think that she has me once again, it freezes whatever we have. I thought after today, what we have would be like a romantic dinner where I would tell her how much she mean to me. Or maybe an escape day where I would bring her to a beach date. Where I would tell the world that she's mine. Because I thought she fell for me too.

"How do you take it? You forgive me?" Sheryl snapped me back.

"Uh..." I stared back into her eyes. Sheryl is just one kind girl that I actually fall for. But I don't know, it seems different now. "Yeah, I think so."

"You think it will work? Oh thank goodness!" She climbed into my hug so I was forced to spin her around. "I love you!"

I stuttered to give that words back. It doesn't feel right. Doesn't feel that way anymore. Funny, knowing how fast it vanished, just within days. But for now, and from now on, the only one important is Justine to me. The long-gone Justine.

"Hey, want to play me something?" She picked up my guitar from the floor and strummed it randomly.

"Let me." I took it from her.

"I want to hear you sing." Sheryl sat on the carpet with Tank.

"Hmm." I nodded unsure. Everything went awkward.

Baby in a heartbeat
I'll take you with me
I just wanna get to know ya
You're throwing me off beat
So I can't breathe
I just wanna get to show ya
If we're falling apart
I would fight for your heart
I will be your shield
I'll fight on your field
Baby when life gets colder
I'll be your soldier

I choked. The song wasn't supposed to be sung for Sheryl anymore. I want Justine back. I want to stop pretending.