Chapter 6

Lexi wheeled into her room, her eyes half open. She was pushed into place and then the nurse left to give the couple some space.

Miguel ran over to her. "Oh my gosh...Babe." He hugged her. She gently and weakly wrapped her arms around him.

He accidentally touched on of her burns. She groaned in pain. "I'm so sorry." He said. "It's fine." She said, her voice a little soft. "How did the tests go?" He asked. "Good. I fell asleep after the last one." She laughed, he did too. "They said we'd get the results at the end of today." She said.

"That's good. I'm gonna call your parents." He said.

-Later-

"Honey!" Amanda said. She ran into the room and pulled her daughter into a big huge. "How are you, Lex?" Daniel asks after kissing her cheek. "Tired. Very tired." She said.

"She had some scans and tests done. We'll find out the results tonight." Miguel said.

"Where's Sam?" Lexi asked. "Her and Grandma are at the house.  They're very worried." Amanda said. Lexi looked at her both. "Both? I find that hard to believe." Lexi said, sighing and laying her weak head on the pillow.

"Things are complicated right now. We are all trying to figure things out. But, don't focus on that. Focus on getting better." Daniel said, placing his hands on top of his daughter's.

"We'll be back tomorrow, sweetheart." Amanda said, kissing Lexi's head. She then turned and hugged Miguel. "Thank you for being there for her." She said. "Of course." He simply said.

They then walked out of the room. "My mother and Yaya should be here soon." He said. Lexi weakly nodded and placed a hand over her chest. "Are you okay?" He asked worriedly. "Yeah, it's just it's getting a little h-hard to breath." She said.

"I'll go get a doctor!" Miguel said, quickly standing up. "Miguel I'm fine-" And he was out the room. "He never listens." Lexi muttered and focused on her breathing. A tall, blonde haired nurse walked in. "Your husband says you're having some trouble breathing?" She asked worriedly.

Lexi nods. "But, it's getting better. There's no need to panic." Lexi said. "Hun, you inhaled some much smoke that even a little loss of breath could get worse, so your husband did the right thing coming to get me." She said. She looked at the machine.

"It does appear that your heartbeat pace has gone down slightly, so I'm just gonna hook you up to some oxygen." She grabbed a plastic tubing and put it around Lexi's face.

The end of the tube when into an oxygen tank. "That should help. I'll be back in 15 minutes." She turned and made direct eye contact with Miguel. "Get me if anything happens. All right?" He nods.

The nurse leaves and Miguel walks over to her. He seats in the seat next to her and holds her hands. "Miggy, look at me." They make eye contact. "If I don't make it, I-"

"Babe... you're gonna make it. Please. Don't worry." He said, on the brink of tears. "Miguel, we both know well that there's a chance I won't make it. I've accepted it. I need you to too." He sighed and looked down. "Look at me." She said.

He looked up into her ocean blue eyes. "If I were to...um... not make it...I don't want you to sulk about me. Okay? I want you to promise me that if and when I'm gone, you'll move on and be happy. Can you promise me that?" She asked. He waited a few seconds and nodded.

"Lexi...I love you so much. I know it hurts. I know you're tired. But, please...keep fighting. I need you." He said. She placed her hand on his cheek. "I'll fight, but Miguel...I'm getting really tired of fighting." She said, tears starts to flow down her face. "It's hurts. It hurts so bad." She cried. He crawled out her bed and wrapped his arms around her as she cried into his shirt.