Chapter Twenty Eight: Surprise

25th August 1989 / Sayreville New Jersey

JON'S POV:

I lay in bed next to Haylee, both of us naked beneath the sheets. Her head was on my chest as I dragged my nails gently up and down her spine. I wasn't sure if she was asleep or not.

"Haylee?" I mumbled, lazily staring up at the ceiling.

"What." Irritation was clear in her tone.

"Can I ask you something?"

"I'm half asleep,"

I sighed, I knew I should've waited, it'd just been on my mind for the past five days, it was killing me.

"Okay, goodnight sweetheart," I smiled gently. She almost drifted off again, before she groaned and sat up.

"I won't be able to sleep now unless you tell me," she sighed, "What's the matter."

I took hold of the hand that caressed my cheek, thinking of the best way to ask. I was so stupid, I definitely should've waited until morning to bring it up.

"Well- I've just been thinking. It's just a suggestion...but y'know, now we have a bit of time off, I thought- I mean I know it's early- but I thought it'd maybe be a good time to ask if you'd like to...move in with me- temporarily! If not permanently,"

Oh God, not even I could understand what I'd just said. I was a nervous, stuttering mess.

"What?" Haylee frowned. She hadn't understood a word.

"Do you want to come and live with me?"

Her eyes widened, with joy, shock, or both; I wasn't sure.

Under normal circumstances it would usually be EXTREMELY quick for Haylee to move in with me. But it was different for us, with the tour it was like we already lived with each other, and she tended to stay at mine anyway whenever we got a break.

Whenever she went home for a couple days it was just strange for the both of us. We'd usually spend all our time talking on the phone anyhow. Most of Haylee's things were all at my house anyway. I mean, we basically already were living together, it just wasn't official I suppose.

Still, I probably could've thought of a better time to ask her than half past midnight.

"You want me to live here?"

"I mean you already practically do, I just thought maybe you could officially move in if you wanted. There's no rush,"

I sat up now, the sheets draping over my lower body.

"I mean I'd love to," she smiled. Relief settled through me, for a minute I thought she might refuse, to which I'd have been secretly disappointed. "But can we talk about this in the morning?"

"Of course," I chuckled, pulling her back down under the covers to me.

Haylee had gone home for the next couple days, gathering her things so she could properly move everything in. I wasn't sure where all her stuff would go just yet, but there was plenty of room in the house for it.