Chapter Forty Three: Something For The Pain

21st November 1990 / Sayreville New Jersey

HAYLEES'S POV:

Jon took a seat beside me on the couch, pizza box in hand as he grabbed a slice and shoved it in his mouth. He looked so exhausted, dressed in only a bathrobe with his hair a damp mess. He gave me a short smile, turning his attention to the television program.

I watched him for a moment; he didn't seem to care that I was staring at him while he ate.

"Jon?"

"Mhm."

I averted my gaze to my lap, fiddling with my nails.

"You know what day it is tomorrow, don't you?"

He stopped chewing, going still before he turned to me. His hand reached out, resting on my kneecap and giving it a loving squeeze.

"Of course I know what day it is tomorrow," he replied gently, his expression tender, empathetic.

I nodded slowly. "I uhm, Christopher called."

"What'd he say?"

"Well in the past, on Christian's birthday we always met up. He called yesterday, he wants to do it again, go to the cemetery and catch up afterwards."

Jon nodded, gave a small smile and said "Okay."

I went quiet for a moment. "Will you be there?"

"Well do you want me to be there?" He asked, seemingly under the impression that I didn't want him there. I frowned, placing a hand on his bare leg.

"Of course I want you to be there," I said softly, "You're my husband."

"Then I'll be there," he smiled, but then his expression faulted. "Are you sure Chris wants me there?"

"Of course. Sophie'll be there, why wouldn't you?"

He looked down, staring into his pizza box.

"I need you, Jon. Chris needs Sophie. It's still hard, it helps to have the people you love most with you."

He took my hand, giving it a firm and loving squeeze. "I won't let you down," he promised, and then let out a small sigh. "Not this time."

I smiled, kissing him and taking a bite out of his half eaten slice of pizza.

"Hey," he frowned with a chuckle.

"A girl's gotta eat," I shrugged, finishing the slice without a second thought.

I was looking forward to seeing Chris tomorrow. He'd invited us round to his new place, which wasn't far from our house at all. I knew it'd be difficult, I visited the cemetery often, but it was always different on his birthday, and having Chris there too was sure to bring back some memories. I'd have Jon there though, and I knew that even if he wasn't doing particularly great at the moment, he'd step up when I needed him, which would undoubtedly be tomorrow.