Chapter 14: If you want to leave a mark, make your presence felt

🧡📱

Day two.

They say once you get to Miss Universe, the time flies, that you won't even get notice that it's ending already.

Yesterday felt surreal. I was nervous, excited, anxious, yet happy. After months of training and hard work for the pageant, here I am, ready to take on the biggest challenge of my life.

Right now all I have is myself. No more glam team helping me with my hair and makeup, no more stylist curating my clothes, no more coaches to develop how I speak, it is just me. It's scary, but I know I've prepared and studied well. I've worked blood, sweat and tears with literally my bare hands. It wasn't easy for me to change my ways and the things the experts felt needed changing, but I listened. Some people might not accept the enhancements in my body, but it's a gamble and reality I must face and live on. If the changes are for the improvement and advantage of what I'll be doing, then so be it. It is my body and I decide what I want to do with it——and I am happy with it!

Being Miss Philippines in the most popular pageant is never easy, but I know in my heart that the people I'm carrying the flag for are worth representing. Not everyone will approve of me or of what I'll do or what I'll wear, or what I'll say, that's why I need to be mentally strong to think and tell myself that the only approval that matters in my Miss Universe journey is the one coming from me.

"Mama J, dumating na po yung result ng swab test. Thankfully, it's negative. I can go down for breakfast and register in a while. I need to fill out some forms pa daw eh."

"Hay, buti nalang. At least wala na masyadong problema. Nakatulog ka ba ng maayos kagabi?"

"Nakatulog naman po. Sobrang lambot nga ng kama para akong naka higa sa clouds" I laughed.

"Ah, that's good. Anyway, sige na. Better make good use of your time and magayos ka na diyan. Make sure plakado ang make-up ha, di ka pwedeng mabash ngayon sa looks mo. You're Miss Philippines and you gotta show how phenomenal Filipina queens are from the start palang. Alam mo naman kung gaano ka nasa spotlight ngayon. Basta keep your trainings in mind."

"Yes po, mama J. Di ko po nakakalimutan. Almost done na po with the makeup. Lining my eyebrows nalang." I told the queen maker.

"Sige. Update me later ha. Enjoy, bunso."

"Yes po. Thank you. Bye mama J" I ended the call and placed my red phone on top of the bed.

I walked back to the bathroom and curled my hair with an iron wand. Mukhang okay na naman yung pagkacurl, in fairness ang ganda-ganda ko talaga ngayon. Satisfied na ako sa makeup ko today. Bagay na bagay sa blush pink halter dress ko for this morning. Months of makeup training and late nights perfecting a look is finally paying off.

A little adjustment nalang sa eyebrows. I took the brow brush and stroked it accordingly to accentuate my brow bone. To be sure, I asked manang M, so I sent her a message and snapped a picture.

Rabiya M.
Ng MJ, plakado na kaya yung hair and makeup ?