the weirdness of States/Counties/Regions, etc

I'm always confused by this myself, so imma put this here. I guess it's also helpful for u to understand my hc's more. Every country has "states" of some sort, and all of them have their own representative/statehuman.

The ones that actually refer to them as States are mostly federal republics. So for example the US, Canada, Australia, Germany and Austria, India, etc.

Some have certain names for their "states" alone, Russia calls them Federal Subjects (not to be confused with the Republics, there are less of them), Japan with Prefectures, Bangladesh who has Divisions, Switzerland and Luxembourg with Cantons, France who refers to them as Departments (or Regions depending on how complicated u want it to be), Portugal and Serbia with Districts, Scotland with Council Areas, Wales with Principle Areas and Poland who calls them Voivodeships.

Other types that are more commonly used, are Provinces, Regions, Counties, Governorates, or Territories.

There are some historical counties that will play a part in my stories, so I will put a few of them here. Some of them have been independent before. Some of them are no "states", others are just cities, others don't exists at all anymore.

Flanders
Located in Belgium

Wallonia
Located in Belgium

Hannover
Located in Germany

Baden
Located in Germany

Wurttemberg
Located in Germany

Magdeburg
Located in Germany

Cologne
Located in Germany

Aachen
Located in Germany

Anglia
Located in Germany

Saxony
Located in Germany

Antwerpen
Located in the Netherlands

Brabant
Located in the Netherlands and Belgium

East Anglia
Located in England

Wessex
Located in England

Essex
Located in England

Kent
Located in England

Winchester
Located in England

Yorkshire
Located in England

Lancashire
Located in England

Burgundy
Located in France

Aquitaine
Located in France

Brittany
Located in France

Normandy
Located in France

Gascony
Located in France

Anjou
Located in France

(Crown of) Aragon
Located in Spain

(Crown of) Castile
Located in Spain

(Crown of) Leon
Located in Spain

And now, simply because I want to, and because I want to make this chapter longer, I will list all the "states" for sum countries that will be found in my stories, cuz the other one's aren't anywhere near to being important to u anyways. Not that these are, but still. U have to deal with this now.

And they will not be listed in alphabetical order, cuz I can't be bothered by that :)

The United States:
(Even tho most of u will already know this-)