장 11 열한

RAENA

According to my calculations, I had hypothesized that this Mulberry would grow at least an inch by today. The Mulberry has only grown half an inch and already has wilting leaves. How did this occur?

I dig into my lab coat pocket, taking out my pen, and look down at my data chart. I sigh to myself, marking the data showing hardly any progress on the growth.

In conclusion, I must add more water and move the plant into less direct sunlight in the greenhouse. Maybe that will help its growth and the wilting leaves.

The sunlight beats down on me as I move my Mulberry over to the other side of the greenhouse. I begin to sweat. My glasses started to slide down the bridge of my nose. I quickly push them back up.

Honestly, nothing can beat this Florida heat.

I hear fast-paced footsteps heading in my direction, distracting me out of my thoughts. I instantly look up to find something that I never thought would ever stand before me.

Kai is shirtless and out of breath. He turns quickly to look behind him as if someone were following him.

"Kai?" I called. He looks back. He seems distraught.

He whips his head back around, looking at me. I feel a slight heart palpitation throughout my body, making me feel degrees hotter than I already am.

"Uh," He looks down at himself, realizing he is only half-clothed.

He lightly brushes his hand over his defined and chiseled pectorals, "Um," He tries to explain.

I try to look away, but I can't help but notice his hand dripping with blood.

"Oh my god, Kai. Are you bleeding? Are you okay?" I quickly rush over to take a look at his hand, "Are you hurt?" I grab for his hand, instantly examining it.

I turn his hand over and all around, looking for a wound, confused. There's nothing. I don't see a cause for why his hand is bleeding. His hand looks fine.

I look up in confusion, my face inches away from his body. He smiles down at me.

"I'm okay." His voice soothing, and his dimples indent.

Flustered, I feel the temperature suddenly get 10 degrees hotter. My cheeks feel warm.

I look back down. I realize I am holding his hand in mine, he gives a small giggle.

"Oh, um," I look around for the gardening hose in the corner, "Here!"

I pull on his hand, taking him to it. I crouch down, turning the spicket on low and rinsing off his hand. He smiles and keeps his stare on me. He continues to let me wash his hand. He chuckles.

"What?" I ask, slightly embarrassed.

"Nothing, I find this slightly amusing." He grins, his dimples going deeper.

"Well, I'm glad you found this funny." I roll my eyes, annoyed.

I wipe his hand dry with a small towel and examine it one last time. There were no marks.

"Did you get into a fight?" I ask genuinely.

"No," He shakes his head, "I'm fine, truly."

I furrow my eyebrows. This was odd.

He breaks eye contact and looks around, "What is this place?"

I stand back up, "Oh, this place?" I pull back some of my loose hair behind my ear. "This is the school's greenhouse." I beamed.