Chapter 4: Girls Day

After breakfast, Zoella and I went down to the city. It was just like the other day. People cheerfully walked the streets, laughing and talking with one another. They smiled and waved as we passed, some even embracing Zoella. It was a nice change.

       "Thank you for this, Zoella." I told her as we walked down the street. "I think my little brother would like it here. There's so much to see."

       "Please call me Ella." She said with a smile. "Tell me more about your brothers."

       "Well, Jeremiah is the oldest. He and I are closest in age." I replied. "We spent all our time together as kids and were so protective over each other. When Jeriah was born, it was like a whole different level of being protective. I was almost sixteen then. Our mother died during the childbirth, and my father died shortly after. So, Jeremiah and I raised our brother. He'll be six soon."

       "I'm so sorry about your parents." She said gently. "I know how hard that must have been. I haven't seen my parents in so long. When Nik took over, they moved out to an island on the coast."

       "Do they ever visit?" I asked. A woman approached and handed us both a rose with a smile. The people here were so kind.

       "Yes they do. Once it starts getting colder, they come home and spend a few months with us." She said, thanking the woman for the roses. "Do you think there ever might be a chance of getting at least your little brother from Ketish?"

       "The alpha would never allow me to come get him." I told her, carefully avoiding his name. "I'd be dead on site if I went back. Not even Jeremiah would be able to fight against those orders."

       "That's terrible. I hate that you had to go through that." She grabbed my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. "Right now, you need a distraction. What do you like to do?"

       "Honestly, I don't even know anymore." I laughed, appreciating her trying to cheer me up. "It's been a long time since I had fun." 

       "Well let me change that. Luka is away on patrol all day so I'm completely free. Come on!" She pulled me down the street giggling. We didn't stop until we were standing at the beginning of a very colorful street. "Most of our artists and musicians live on this street. There's food and games too. Let's have fun."

       And that's exactly what we did. We visited each and every shop there. There was a lot to do. She bought me sweets and we danced in the streets to loud music. We played every game we could find. I'd never seen such things before. Most importantly, we talked. We talked about good things. I even found out she was my age. By the time we made our way back to the castle, my feet were aching but I felt so much better than the days before.

       "Do you want to watch a movie?" Ella asked when we walked in the castle. "We can eat our sweets until we're ready to puke."

       "That sounds like the end of a perfect girls day." I said, giggling as she linked her arm with mine.

       "Ugh I haven't had a true girls day in so long." She sighed. "I think I'm going to try and find you a job within the castle. This is the most fun I've had in awhile and I'd love it if you were around."

       "I'd like that too. I haven't laughed and smiled this much in years." I told her honestly. I realized that I could easily consider Ella a close friend.

       She showed me their in home theater and picked out a movie. This is exactly how I pictured how a girls night would go. Laughing way too hard at all the cheesy acting and eating so much junk food. We made a mess from all the junk food we kept throwing at each other. After two movies, we both started to get tired. Ella was falling asleep in her chair so I told her I was going up to my room. I laughed as she mumbled at me and threw a pillow over her head.

        I thought I was confident enough to find my room but it didn't take me long to get lost. Every hallway I turned down looked just as unfamiliar as the last. I was about to give up and find my way back to the theater room when I smelled something amazing. My feet began moving before I knew what was happening. I found myself standing in the kitchen, looking at the most beautiful man I'd ever laid my eyes on. He was tall and spectacularly built. His black hair was slicked back and his muscles flexed as he cooked. And he was very shirtless. I watched for a moment and noticed him stiffen. When he turned to face me fully, I almost collapsed.

        "Mate."