Chapter 8: The Treehouse

"So then he got all mad because the spider didn't scare me at all." I said, laughing as I took a sip of my wine. "I threw the spider at him which made him scream. He didn't speak to me for three days."

"I bet that would have been hilarious to see. Were your parents mad?" He asked, laughing at my story.

"They told him he deserved it since he tried to scare me first." I told him. "That's how it was for us growing up. We were constantly pulling pranks on each other."

"The same goes for me and Ella." He laughed. "I used to scare the shit out of her in my demon form. It was before she was old enough to shift. I would hide in the most random places and jump out at her."

"Will I ever see your demon form?" I asked curiously. He frowned for a moment and took my hand.

"Maybe one day." He said quietly. "Our demon forms tend to scare others. Which it's meant to. That's where all the rumors about me come from."

I thought about that for a moment. All the rumors about him being this vicious king who murders without cause. But I've only seen a king who cares for his people.

"None of those rumors are true." I told him, squeezing his hand. "I just wish the people outside this city could see that."

"One can only hope." He said, smiling widely. "I try to do what's best for my people. I just want them to live happy lives."

"Well you have definitely succeeded with that." I said, giving him a sweet smile. My heart did a flip as I watched a blush creep across his cheeks. "Anyone who walks through the streets of the city can see that."

"You're sweet, princess." He laughed. It was my turn to blush as I took a bite of cake. I looked out over the garden and saw something I didn't notice before.

"What is that?" I asked, pointing at a tree in the distance. It was just light enough to see it. I watched as he looked to where I pointed and laugh.

"That is the treehouse that Ella and I used to play in. It hasn't been used in some time." He explained. I smiled at that and studied the treehouse once more. "Do you want to go check it out?"

I nodded and took his hand as he led me to the tree. The closer we got, the more I smiled. I almost laughed as I watched him climb the ladder. He was such a large man. I followed him to the top and sat down next to him on the edge. The treehouse was just tall enough to see right above the castle. The city lights were dazzling.

"I love it up here. This is amazing." I whispered, laying my head on his shoulder. He sighed and leaned closer to me. "You keep surprising me."

"I hope I continue to do that." He said, kissing me on top of my head. The gesture made my heart pound. "Dance with me?"

"But there's no music." I said, looking up at him. He smiled and stood up. Hesitantly, I took his waiting hand.

He wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me close. I relaxed instantly and laid my head on his chest. Closing my eyes, I let him spin me in slow circles. Lyla said she was in heaven within the arms of our mate. She was eating up all this attention.

"I promise that I will always protect you." He murmured, tightening his arm around my waist. I pulled back slightly and looked into his eyes. He froze completely, waiting on me to make a move. I went up on my tip toes and completely lost my breath as our lips connected. It was as if time slowed down and I knew Lyla was right. We were in heaven.