Chapter 22: The Crown

The day arrived and I was a bundle of nerves. I couldn't help but pace around my room even though there was still hours until Zeke and the others get to the castle. So many variables ran through my mind. So many things that could go wrong. I didn't stop my pacing even when Nik walked into the room.

"You have to breathe, my love." He said quietly, sitting on the bed. "Come here."

I sighed and walked into his open arms. He wrapped his head around my middle and laid his head against my chest. I felt my heart calm as I ran my fingers through his hair.

"Feeling better?" He asked, looking up at me. I nodded and mustered a smile. "Good. I have something for you. Can I show you?"

I nodded again, not trusting my voice. He stood and gave me a sweet kiss. Grabbing my hand, he led me out the bedroom door and down the hall. I couldn't focus on where we were going because my mind was all over the place. We walked down several flights of stairs before we stopped at a door with a keypad. That finally caught my attention. Nik entered in the keycode and the door unlocked. I completely lost my breath when he opened the door.

"I've been meaning to bring you down here for some time. But I kept forgetting." He said, leading me into the room. Everything in the room sparkled. There were jewels on nearly every inch of the massive room. Necklaces, earrings, bracelets, and most importantly, crowns. "This is the family collection. Technically, everything in this room now belongs to you too."

"Nik, this is insane. I had no idea any of this existed." I said as I looked around in wonder. I could never be worthy of anything here. "I couldn't possibly wear anything here. It's all too beautiful."

"I know what you're thinking. I can feel it through the bond." He said, giving me a knowing look. We had finally completed the bond days before and it made everything much more intense. "You are worthy of it. All of it."

"Are you sure?" I asked. I smiled as he nodded. "I wouldn't even know where to begin."

"I have an idea. Come with me." He said, pulling me towards the back of the room. I felt as though my head was on a swivel. There was so much to see.

He led me to a wall that had several glass cases lining it. There were tiaras in most of them but dead in the center case sat two crowns. There were others on display around the room but none of them were protected like these. One of the crowns was mostly black with black and red gems. It was clearly designed for a king. But the other one was absolutely breathtaking.

"That one is for you." Nik whispered in my ear as he wrapped his arms around my waist from behind.

It was an exquisite black crown with six delicate points. Black gems shone all over it. No words could truly describe it's beauty. Nik was right. This one is definitely for me.

"Nik, it's beautiful." I told him. "I don't even know if I have a gown fit to match this crown."

"I have that taken care of." He said, turning me to face him. "Mom pulled out one of her old gowns and did some alterations. It was her coronation gown. I hope you don't mind."

"I don't mind at all. I would be honored to wear her gown." I told him before kissing him deeply. "Thank you for this. You made me feel better."

"Everything is going to be okay, my little wolf." He said, pulling me back towards the door. "Let's go get ready."