Chapter 21: Going for a Run

Nik made the necessary preparations to Zeke's arrival. Zeke told him that he was bringing a few of his mean with him to bring the "witch" in. I was there in the room when Nik talked to him on the phone. My blood completely ran cold as his voice rang from the speaker. When the phone call ended, I sobbed for an hour. Nik held me through it all. When I finally calmed down, we went to talk with Jeriah and explain what was going on.

"Jojo, I don't want him to come here." Jeriah said in a quiet voice. "He'll take you away. He'll hurt you."

"We are going to make sure that doesn't happen, buddy." Nik said, picking him up and putting him in his lap. "You won't have to worry about a thing."

"He's not gonna be able to hurt me anymore." I told him. I almost laughed when he didn't look convinced. "You know how Nik and Luka are really strong? Well they're going to protect me."

"And Ella too right?" He said, laying his head on Niks chest. "She's really strong too."

"Ella too." I said with a laugh. "And you remember what you've been learning in your training right? You have to keep practicing so you can be safe too."

"I'll keep practicing." He said with a yawn. It was getting pretty late for him. "Does that mean Jeremiah will come too?"

"Most likely. He is the beta." I told him as I picked him up and put him in the bed. I smiled at him as I started to tuck him in. "You know me and him used to play this game all the time when we were kids."

"Don't forget teddy." He said, putting his bear under the cover next to him. I made a show of tucking the bear in too. "What game was it?"

"We used to pretend that he was an alpha. A strong and powerful one." I said, sitting on the bed. "And I would be his beta. We played that game for years, running around the woods acting like we had a whole pack. We would make up pretend battles and fight off bad guys. In my eyes, Jeremiah would have been the best alpha."

"Well maybe he can still be the best alpha." He mumbled as his eyes closed. "He would be a good alpha."

"I know bud. I know." I said, kissing the top of his head. "Get some sleep."

I stood up and walked to the door. I turned around to see Nik also tucking him in and kissing the top of his head. He smiled as we walked out of the room together.

"I'll make sure he has extra protection when they're here." He said, grabbing my hand. "I won't let anything happen to either of you. Or Skylar and the other pack members."

"Thank you for that." I told him. "I'd really like to go for a run. I haven't been in awhile. Would you like to join me?"

"You want me to go on a run with you?" He asked with a laugh. "In my demon form?"

"Yes in your demon form." I said, stopping to face him. "What's the matter? Don't think you can keep up with me? I thought demons were fast."

"Listen here, my little wolf." He began, smiling wickedly. "We are fast. Don't think just because you're my mate that I'm going to take it easy on you."

"That's funny. I was going to say the same thing to you." I said, giving him a fake surprised look. "Come on, let's find someone to listen out for Jeriah."

"I'm already on it." Addison said, hurrying around the corner. We both just stared at her in confusion. "What? I wasn't eavesdropping. I just happened to be walking this way and heard. By the way, I think a run is a great idea. Now if you'll excuse me."

We both laughed as she walked down the hall to Jeriah's room. Nik looked at me and shook his head. I only laughed more and pushed him as I ran down the hall. I didn't need to look back to see he was right behind me. I squealed when I felt his fingers brush against my back, almost catching me. We passed a few laughing guardsmen as we ran all the way out the back door, towards the garden and wasted no time shifting.

It was nice to just be able to do this. To run free with my mate. Nik had been less hesitant, since the kidnapping, about showing me his demon form. I never lied to him when I told him his demon form didn't scare me. If anything, it made me love him more.