Chapter 6

CHAPTER 6

SOME said there were good and bad police officers. But I'd say that's an oversimplification. They could be honest, courageous, corrupt, devious, malicious, altruistic, cunning, or stupid. And that's just my short list. My father was a cop, and he was all of those things, not all at once of course. It depended upon the circumstances he was facing.

The thing was I don't know which one of those list best described the man in front of me. With that blank face he was wearing, it's kind of hard to read what he was up to or what he was thinking now.

The officer in front of me had all the usual height without the bulk. Judging by how he looks, he might be pushing thirty yet he had the build of a teenager, lithe muscle underneath his black shirt. He definitely looked like he's in his early 20's like me. He had a noticeable scar near his right temple and it's the first thing that I noticed when I saw him.

So how did I end up here?

Let me take a few steps back...

"Wait, I know someone who can help you," Patsy held my hand before I could reach the exit.

I stopped and my gaze landed on her small face. One of my eyebrows arched as I wait for her response.

"Hanapin mo si Detective Renko. Siya ang palaging nakaka-solve ng mga cold cases dito sa Tuguegarao. I'm sure he can help you," she said, lowering down her voice as if what she said was a top secret.

Napakunot-noo ako. "Kung makabulong naman ito, akala mo 'yung murderer na ang pinag-uusapan."

Mas lumapit pa siya sa akin lalo habang patingin-tingin sa paligid. "Eh kasi iilan lang ang nakakakilala sa kanya."

That information was quite intriguing, huh.

"And you know him because?"
Napangiti siya bigla. Why do I felt like may something sa mga ngiting iyon?

"He attended my mom's birthday party before and doon kami nagkakilala, pero hindi as in na nagkakilala ha, like 'yung naging close kami gano'n. I hope you get it."

I just nodded my head though medyo magulo ang tinuran niya. "Do you know how will I approach this detective?"

"Just be careful with how you talk to him and how you will introduce yourself. I heard mailap daw siya sa mga babae," Patsy said with slight disappointment in her voice.

Poor Patsy, this detective guy that she had a crush on might be someone who had a thing with the guys instead of the gals.

Anyway, I had enough of the gossips from Patsy. Na-over na naman siya sa chika.

"I should get going," paalam ko. Hindi ko na hinintay kung may sasabihin pa siya kasi sa totoo lang, kanina pa ako atat na makaalis.

I DROVE my car to the police station. It just took me twenty minutes to reach my destination since medyo maluwag ang traffic ngayon.

The officer in the front desk greeted me.

"Good morning, sir, nandito po ba si Detective Renko?"

Napailing ang officer. He rubbed his chin as his eyes were fixed on me. "Naku, napapadami na yata ang fans ni Renko ah."

Napahalukipkip ako. My eyes roamed the insides of the station. There were officers who were busy with some papers, and some were talking in the corner.

"I am here to refer a case to him, Mister Officer."

"Sandali lang Miss ha, may kausap pa kasi siya. Kung maaari po ay maghintay muna kayo roon," itinuro niya ang benches kung saan nakaupo rin ang ilang kliyente.

I have no choice but to wait. I am hoping that this Renko could help me enlighten myself on what really happened to Selyn and Caleb.

It took me almost an hour waiting. Panaka-naka ang pagsulyap ko sa mga nakasaradong pinto, umaasang lalabas na ang tinatawag nilang Detective Renko or whoever.

And yeah, one of the doors opened. Lumabas doon ang isang babae na nakasimangot. She looked like she's about to cry. Nagmamadali itong lumabas ng station.

Pailing-iling na naman ang officer sa may front desk. "Hay naku, mukhang may pinaiyak na naman na manliligaw si master Renko ah."

May forehead creased at his statement. What did he mean by 'manliligaw'?

Tumayo ang officer at nagtungo sa may pinto. Sinundan ko siya ng tingin. Nakabukas nang bahagya ang pinto and I could only see a portion of the room. There were several books inside it. Parang library instead na opisina.

"Renko, nandito na 'yung susunod mong manliligaw, papasukin ko na ba?" the officer asked, then briefly glancing at me.

Napatayo na ako at kaagad na nagtungo sa kinaroroonan nila.

"Tell her that if she has nothing important to say, then she better leave," a deep voice said from inside the room.

I felt irritated at how he treated his clients. I was not able to restraint myself as I pushed the officer in front of me away from the door.

"Teka lang, miss," he protested but I was already opening the door widely.

His black eyes stared at me from head to toe but I couldn't care less. I don't care if he was already judging me, but I believed he shouldn't treat his clients this way.

"I am sorry for intruding, Mister Detective, but I think what I was about to say is also important," I boldly said with my eyes never leaving his black orbs.

I saw them blinked thrice, probably surprised by my sudden intrusion.

"Renko, pasensya na, nagpumilit siya eh," paliwanag pa 'nung officer na itinulak ko.

I swore kapag palpak 'to, si Patsy talaga ang sisisihin ko.

"Let her be. I wanna hear the 'important' words she's about to say," he said with an emphasis on the word 'important'.

The officer closed the door behind me when he left and I was finally alone with this respectable detective, o kung matatawag man siyang ganoon.

Tumayo siya sa kanyang kinauupuan tapos itinuro niya ang upuan sa harap ng kanyang mesa.

"Please have a seat Miss...?”

I maintained my poker face since this officer was somewhat serious unlike the other one a while ago.

I held my hand in front of him. "Clarissa Yaneza."

He shook my hand in a tight handshake before I took a seat.

"So what is the case?" he asked immediately.

© MyNameIsZii