Chapter 21

CHAPTER 21

"WHAT are you doing here, Clarissa?" he asked and this time using my full name. I immediately noticed the black bags under his eyes. He seemed to be not getting enough rest. Knowing him, he probably never ate anything for the last 24 hours too.

Tumikhim muna ako bago sumagot. "I just want to check on you."

He clasped both his hands in front of him as he leaned his elbows on the table before meeting my eyes. "I am completely fine, if that's what you wanted to hear."

"No. I know it's not okay,Lew. It's alright to show weakness once in a while," I drawled.

Napatawa siya nang mapakla dahil sa tinuran ko at bahagya pang napailing. Napakunot-noo naman ako dahil sa inasta niya. May nakatatawa ba sa pagmamalasakit?

"You know what, Clarissa, showing vulnerability will open up an opportunity for your enemies to attack you. I'd rather die showing my tough side than dying as a weak man," he retorted.

Napabuntunghininga na lang ako saka hinila ang upuan sa harap ng mesa niya kahit na hindi naman niya in-offer. Nangangawit na rin ako at mukhang wala namang balak ang lalaking ito na paupuin man lang ako kahit na ako itong bisita.

"I'm not saying that you are weak. What I am trying to point out is for you to allow your family and friends to comfort you and take care of you," I countered. "If you just let your emotions all pent up inside you, you might burst and you'll never like what it would do to you."

He let out an irritated sigh as he began to type whatever in his computer again. "Enough of the lectures for now, Ysa."

A small smile played on my lips as he called me that nickname again. At least he's not that annoyed with me now.

"Okay, if you don't want me to nag around, you must take your dinner first," I told him when I saw his untouched food on the side table.

His eyes followed my gaze before glaring at me. "If I ate that, you would stop talking?"

I nodded my head with small smile on my lips.

He, again, let out an exasperated sigh before making his way to the side table and grabbed the sandwich and juice there. I silently watched him as he munched on the bread. Once he was done, he glared at me again and I couldn't help, but laugh at his silly attitude. Seriously, Lew was acting childish tonight.

He went back to his table immediately after finishing his juice.

"Happy now?" he asked.

"Very much satisfied, sir!" I replied.

"You may now leave," he said.

I rolled my eyes. "Actually, I do have a lot of questions."

"Ano na naman iyon, Clarissa?"

"Chill! Just wanna ask if may lead ka na sa killer. Your friend, Terry told me that I should ask that," sagot ko.

Napatango naman siya. Mukhang sasagutin naman na niya ang tanong ko. It seemed like mentioning the name of his friend did the trick, huh.

"The truth is I still don't have a lead," he said in a low voice, as if he's ashamed to admit that until now he still failed to identify the serial killer that had been lurking in our city for how many months now. "Sa siyam na pamilyang nabiktima niya, wala ni isang bakas ng kanyang pagkakakilanlan ang naiwan sa crime scene. Malinis siyang magtrabaho, I have to praise him for that."

I've been bothered by this for quite some time now. I still don't believe that there was no trace. Imposible kasi. Alam kong meron pa, hindi lang nila alam kung saan hahanapin.