Chapter 8

CHAPTER 8

THE SCORCHING heat of the sun hit us as soon as we got out from Mister Detective's car. He insisted that we would use one car only; leaving my own vehicle at the police station's parking lot. According to him, we could lessen the emission of Carbon Dioxide if we used one vehicle only. He didn't seem like someone who was deeply concerned with the environment but then maybe he was.

We stood before the three storey building where my late best friend once devoted her time. The last time I went here was when I surprised her on her birthday last year. Wala pa ring pinagbago ang gusali.

"So what, are we just gonna stand here and let the sun toast us?" my companion asked with a slight annoyance in his tone.

I turned to him. Medyo pale ang kulay niya at halatang 'di gaanong naaarawan ang lalaking ito, kaya siguro nagrereklamo na siya kahit na wala pa namang dalawang minuto simula nang bumaba kami ng sasakyan.

Walang imik akong nagsimulang maglakad patungo sa entrance ng gusali. I saw my reflection on the glass door. It doesn't looked like me anymore. My eyes were swollen, puffy, and ringed with red. It felt like I aged for another year turning me into twenty-five.

The guard greeted us when we entered. The cold air from the air conditioner welcomed us too. Most of the employees were at the lobby at this time of the day. Saktong lunch break pala nila. Tahimik lang naman na nagmamasid ang kasama ko.

"It's their lunch time so hindi tayo mahihirapan na i-excuse ang mga kauusapin natin," sabi ko habang iginagala ang aking mga mata.

"I assume that you already left a message to whoever we are meeting today," the officer beside me said while his eyes were fixated at the canteen. Nandito sa east side ng first floor ang kantina ng mga empleyado kaya kita ito agad pagpasok palang sa gusali.

"Yes. She's in the canteen now."

I led the way to the canteen. Today, we were meeting with one of the co-workers of Selyn, particularly someone who was closed to her.

I immediately saw the permed haired woman seated near the entrance of their canteen. Her back was turned to us and I could see that she's holding her phone, probably scrolling through her social media.

"She couldn't be the suspect, could she?" tanong muli ni Mister Detective. "Well we could include her. Anyone could be the suspect."

"No. She can't be. She's a dear friend to Selyn. I can't imagine her doing that to my best friend."

"Oh, come on. Don't be bias, Ysa."

I glared at him. He was really serious at calling me that name? Hindi ko na lang siya pinansin at nagtungo na sa table ni Irene.

Her face brightened up when she saw me, but immediately turned sympathetic. She approached me and gave me a hug.

"I'm saddened by the news," sabi niya. "Maupo muna kayo."

She gestured at the seats in front of her. Before I took a seat, lumingon ako upang tawagin ang detective.

"Irene, ito nga pala si Detective..."

What's his name again? I totally forgot.

"Detective Lew Renko. Pleased to meet you," he beat me to it, extending his right hand towards Irene.

Irene just smiled at him and shook his hand. Naupo na kami ni Detective Renko after that. Irene clasped her hands in front of her as she stared at me then shifted her gaze to the officer.

"So, what can I do for you, guys?"

"We're investigating the Tavera Sibling's death," I began.

She gasped. Parang 'di niya ine-expect. Who would expect anyway? They all believed that it was an accident.