Chapter 14

CHAPTER 14

IT TOOK us thirty minutes to reach the café owned by Damien Tomas, Selyn’s ex-boyfriend and a potential murderer. It was located in the town square. Around it were food vendors, giving the middle of the town a sort of market atmosphere. The ambiance of the café, its homey aroma, draws my soul into its cocoon for a few blessed moments. I would have loved to stay here if only it was not owned by someone who could be a killer, someone who took away two important persons in my life.

Surprisingly, the café was packed. Well, that might be because it was situated in the middle of a place that seemingly resembled a marketplace. It was far from what I expected. Lew and I chose to stay at the farthest side, just enough for us to observe the working area of the Baristas and servers. Luckily, the seats there were empty.

“Order a chamomile tea for me,” I heard Lew say when I finally settled myself. One of my eyebrows automatically rose when the words sank in. Was he ordering me around now?

Lew was really a man who loves breaking all the stereotypes that we’ve known of men. He was supposed to be acting like a gentleman here, but no. He just asked me to order a tea for him, something that he should be doing.

"Hindi mo ba kayang gawin 'yan mag-isa?" panunudyo ko. May paa naman siya na magdadala sa kanya patungong counter at bibig para sabihin ang order niya, kaya bakit kailangang ako pa ang gagawa nito para sa kanya?

"As you can see, the café is nearly packed, if we both leave this table, people may think it's vacant. I'm sure you don't want to stand in the corner drinking your tea while eating a cake, do you?"

I really hate how he could always make a point out of everything. I always end up as the loser when I try to argue with him. But hello, he could have been the one who volunteered to get our orders and I would be the one who would be left here to stay on our table. Well, it's the other way around. What would I expect from a man who hates legwork?

I stood up begrudgingly and strode to where the counter was. There was a 'pay as you order' policy posted on the wall and I forgot to get Lew's money for his order. I think I would end up paying for his drinks today. My gaze landed on the menu. When I found what I like, I told the barista about Lew's order and mine.

The barista had tired eyes, yet there was that glimmer, a give away to her good heart. I wondered if that glimmer existed in Damien's eyes too. This barista seemed to be one of those surviving sparks, one of the ones who really held on to who they really were. I asked for my Danish to be warmed when I realized I was not able to mention it. I was too caught up observing the place for any sign of Damien.

I apologized amid my own tired smile. "Sorry, I just feel like I am being a fuss pot today."

I saw her spark glow, her face more relaxed now, and a smidge of joy in her eyes. "That's alright, dear. You can be a fuss pot."

Napatawa ako saglit at nakaramdam ng gaan sa loob. Matapos iyon ay naisipan kong tanungin kung nasaan ang boss niya.

"Nasa second floor si boss," sagot niya tapos napatingin sa akin. "Bakit mo natanong?"

"Ah wala naman. I mean, he was the ex-boyfriend of my bestie so I was just wondering," I tried to sound casually and making sure I didn't look like a creep asking about people's whereabouts.

When our orders were ready, the servers grabbed the platter and followed me to our table. Lew was busy tapping something on his phone.

"Your majesty, here's your order," I mocked.

He looked up from his phone and took a sip from his tea. "I see, you're already close with that Barista. Got anything there?"

Nilagay ko muna ang tasa sa mesa bago tumugon. "Wala si Damien doon. Ang sabi niya sakin ay nasa second floor daw siya," napatingin ako sa paligid para maghanap ng hagdan ngunit wala akong mahagilap.