Imagination 5: Rollercoaster

Disclaimer: The plot is purely fan fiction akin to a movie script. The depiction of incidents in this story is fictional and entirely unrelated to the persons after whom the characters are named. The story is not representative of any persons' view or imagination except mine.

___

"Hang up pannittu poiteenge, mannaa. Did you know how hurt I was? Oru sorry? I can't even enjoy my dinner, but there you were saying "I love you" to all the Jessies in the world."

Sivaangi made a trip to the toilet just to send Ashwin that message. She slipped the phone into her pocket and came out of the washroom.

Her family was seated in a private dining room at one of her favourite establishments, The Annalakshmi. The usually tempting array of starters didn't look so appetizing on that day - a day of misunderstandings and blatant lies.

Forget the misunderstanding with Ashwin. A chat with him will medicate that.

But her father. He still bore the look of guilt as he served her favourite baby corn fritters. The phone in her pocket vibrated with Ashwin's message. She read the notification but not the message and placed the phone face down beside her plate.

"Pothum, pa. Neenge firstu saapdunga." Sivaangi fed a fritter to her father.

___

"Sorry, bro. Where was I? Oh yeah, so I literally overheard everything and neenge nambe maateenge...I was flabbergasted that you, a neutral person, could sense her feelings for me, and I didn't. I was always doubtful and torn between my feelings and whether it was right. Neenge avakitte annaikki antha kelviye kaetkalanaa, Sivaangi ava manasule irukkuratha unga kitta solliyirukka maataa, ennakkum athu therinjirukkaathu. Athuvum neenge avalukku kodutha encouragement, ennaku motivation-naa maari, ethu nadanthaalum paravaayillai, nambe feelings-eh Sivaangikitte sollidalaamnu, sollitten, bro. Neenge illenna... Bro, you played a pivotal role in bringing us together," gushed Ashwin.

Having seen betrayals from people who called themselves his friends, Ashwin was deeply touched by Vishal's words and genuine happiness for Sivaangi that fateful day. His affection and loyalty towards Sivaangi made Ashwin trust him and want to get close with him as well.

On the other hand, Vishal felt overwhelmed by Ashwin's unexpected camaraderie and the information he was sharing eagerly.

"Sivaangi unge kitta sonaalaa?"

"Erm, illai, bro. Avalukku koochamaa irunthirukkum poleh."

"Unge best friendukku koochamaa? Enna bro...athu avange dictionarylaiye illai... Seri, enge rendu paerule yaar sonna enna? Ippothaan oru two weeks aayirukku, bro. Inthe news veliyaachunaa enge family, career ellam affect aagum...ippodhaikku naan rhombe nambure ungalukkum ennoda akkaakkum mattumthaan theriyum."

"I am happy for you and Sivaangi, bro. Don't worry, my lips are sealed," said Vishal, a genuine smile lifting the corners of his mouth.

Ashwin thanked him and continued eating and chatting, but his words faded into the background. Vishal looked at Ashwin's glowing face. Sivaangi must be glowing with the same happiness, he thought.

It could be blind possessiveness or love, and sadly, both would have unhinged his bond with Sivaangi and destroyed their friendship. Love for a friend need not end in a relationship; it can continue with care, respect and wanting good for them.

What a whirlwind of a day it has been for his young mind! The young monkey mind that leapt from encouraging his friend to wanting her without knowing why overnight.
___

After a long time, Mr Krishnan and his family had a wonderful dinner together. Although Sivaangi was initially a little out of sorts, she returned to her usual self and enjoyed her food and conversations.