Imagination 7: All Is Not Well

Mrs Krishnan opened the door to her daughter's room slowly. Seeing Sivaangi sleeping soundly, she sat beside her and tapped her arm to wake her up.

"Sivaangi, patthu mani aayiduchi. Ezhunthiri. Sree kuttykooda ezhunthu breakfast ellaam mudichitta."

Sivaangi groaned at her mother's early morning tease and opened her eyes.

Groggily, she turned to the other side and closed her eyes again. Mrs Krishnan tapped Sivaangi again and got up to draw the curtains to let sunlight in.

Sivaangi squinted at the rays which intruded her room and frowned at her mother.

"Innum oru ten minutes thoonguraene, ma. Please, please."

"Aiyehyeh! Nee vitta naalaikkuthaan ezhunthiruppe. Moonjai alambiteena seriyaagidum."

Sivaangi stuck her tongue out at her mother, reminding Mrs Krishnan of her husband's words, "Ava innum rhombe chinna ponnu".

Sivaangi sat up and closed her eyes again.

"Adi vaange poreh, Sivaangi. Night ethanai manikku thoongune?"

"Nee room-eh vittu pona oru ten minutesle naan thoongitten, ma," replied Sivaangi yawning.

"Nee ippo okaythaane? Innum disturbed-ah irukkukiya?"

Sivaangi remembered reading Ashwin's message that morning. He had written something along the lines of 'white dress potta beauty'. Whee! He was not upset anymore, she figured.

Smiling, Sivaangi pulled her mother and hugged her tightly and said, "All is well. All is well."

Mrs Krishnan released herself from Sivaangi's embrace and looked at her. She looked well-rested, and there didn't seem to be any remnants of whatever disturbed Sivaangi last night. Still, she would keep a close watch on her daughter.

"Seri, seekiram ezhunthiruchi poi kuli. Innaiku shooting irukkaa?"

"Erm...Illai illai. Naan antha comedy show venaamnnu Parthi annaatte sollitten."

"Parthi kochikkalaiyeh?"

"Illai, annaa understand pannikittaaru."

"Hmmm, seri ennakku music class start aage podhu. Nee ennoda one pm classle join pannikko, Sivaangi. Neeyum singingle brush-up pannanum seriya?"

Sivaangi nodded.

Mrs Krishnan patted her cheek and left the room.

Sivaangi waited till her mother had left, and her footsteps couldn't be heard. She then picked up her phone to reread Ashwin's message.

"Good morning, my white dress potta sleeping beauty. How are you feeling this morning?"

"Sivaangi maa. We need to talk. I cannot do this anymore."

Sivaangi rubbed her eyes and looked at the messages, which were sent within one minute but sounded very different from each other.

What did he mean by 'cannot do this anymore?' It genuinely sounded like a break-up message, but she knew him well to know that's not what he meant.

Sighs! Inthe manushan oru vishayathe cut and right-ah solraara? Kedaiyaathu. Nambe vaazhkaiye ranagalamaa irrukkurappodhan inthe maari bayangaramaana message ellaam annupuvaaru.

"Good morning, manna. White dress potta beauty is up."

"I, too, can't do this anymore. Enough of not being able to see you and smack you when you send scary messages like this."