Imagination 8: Love is Pain

Disclaimer: The plot is purely fan fiction akin to a movie script. The depiction of incidents in this story is fictional and entirely unrelated to the persons after whom the characters are named. The story is not representative of any persons' view or imagination except mine.

___

"Ashwin, if Vishal and Sivaangi were singing non-stop for three hours, why would Vishal tell me that they ended at eight-thirty?"

Ashwin stared blankly at Mr Krishnan, his mind paralysed and unable to come up with a response. He must be careful with the words that come out of his mouth next or risk looking like a chronic liar in front of the father of the woman he loved. Worse still, he could cause problems between Sivaangi and her father.

Mr Krishnan sighed and continued, "Let me explain. After the event ended, Vishal called Sivaangi to check whether she had reached home. When she did not answer, he called me. While we were chatting, he shared they were done singing by eight-thirty. Appadi Vishal event-le pathrai mani varaikkum paadittu iruntha, yethukkaage Sivaangi veetukku vanthutaalaannu ennakku phone panni check pannanum? Yethukkaage eight thirtykellaam pack-up pannitaangennu sollanum? But neenge yenna solreenge...avenga pathrai manikkuthaan paadi mudichaangennu. Eight-thirtykkum ten-thirtykkum rendu mani neram difference, Ashwin. How can both your timings be so off? Something is not right, illaiyaa? Athuthaan yennannu kaetkuran."

By now, Ashwin's back was drenched in perspiration, and he could hear his heartbeat in the silence that prevailed in that living room. His guilty gaze went to his palms that were clenched tightly on his lap, and when he looked up again at Mr Krishnan, he noticed Sivaangi standing a few steps behind her father. Her eyes were closed, her hands were balled into fists, and her lips were moving as if she was muttering some prayers.

Just then, Mrs Krishnan and her music student walked out to the living room talking. As the student walked past the couch, she glanced in the direction Ashwin was seated and squealed in recognition," Neenge Ashwin-thaane?"

This broke the mounting tension and awkward silence, much to Ashwin's relief. He smiled weakly at the student and nodded.

"En family-le ellaarukkum ungale rhombe pudikkum. Sivaangi akka-ve paaka vantheengalaa?" asked the girl chirpily, utterly oblivious to the graveness of the situation Ashwin was currently stuck in.

Mrs Krishnan chipped in like the saviour she was, "Malar, unge familykku mattum kidaiyaathu, tamil nattule irukkura ellaa familieskkum Ashwinthaan favourite...engalukkumthaan. Seri, avenge rendu perum discussionle irukaange-le, nee muthale veetukku kelambu. Vera oru naal Ashwin enga veetukku varumbothu unnakku naan phone panni koopduren, appo nee vaa."

Malar seemed to want to speak more with him but reluctantly left the house after Mrs Krishnan told her to go home.

"Sollunge, Ashwin." persisted Mr Krishnan after Malar left.

"Appa." It was Sivaangi.

Sivaangi called out to her father. Her father turned around and shushed her putting his fingers to his lips. She looked at him pleadingly, and in that instant, Mr Krishnan knew.

"Sir, naan...hmm..."

Mr Krishnan held up his hand to gesture to Ashwin to stop. Mrs Krishnan frowned as she observed her husband's actions towards their daughter and Ashwin.

"Ennakku ungale rhombe pudikkum, Ashwin. Athunaalethaan ithey solren. Ippothaan neenge unge career-le oru mukiyamaana idathule irukeenge. Ithukkappuram neenge neraiya padam pannuveenge, busy aayiduveenge, ungalode dreams-eh fulfil panrathule rhombe involved aayiduveenge. Inthe time-le kaadhal panrathu unge dreamskku oru thadaiya irukkaathaa? Athuvum ungale vida rhombe chinna ponna irukkuravangale love paneengana athu eppadi seri varum, Ashwin? Neenge anthe ponne paapeengala illai shooting-le focus pannuveengala? Anthe ponnu koode freeya veliye poga mudiyuma? Anthe ponnukku ethaavathuna ungalaale appaveh vara mudiyuma? Avangalukku oru normal relationship-le irukkure experience-eh ungalaale kodukka mudiyuma? Neenge interview-le solliteenge...Sivaangikku ethaavathuna, muthal aalaa nipeengannu. Ketka nallaa irukku aanaa Paris-le shooting nadakkurappo eppadi Sivaangiyode problemskku attend pannuveenge? Unge age-kku close-ah irukkura ponnaa irunthaa paravalai...avangalukku unge situation-eh purinjikkure maturity irrukkum manage panniduvaange. Collegekoode mudikaathe, thannode friendsungalode love stories-eh kettuttu, english moviesle kaature love scenes-ah paathuttu kanavu ulagathule irrukure nambe Sivaangikku athu puriyaathu. In the beginning, she might but as time goes by and you are more absent than present, she will start feeling sad and dejected. Neenge rendu perum sanda poduveenge, azhuveenge, athu unge rendu paeraiyum affect pannum, unge career-eh impact pannum. Ungallukku ippo ithu thevaiya? Unge dreams ungalukku mukiyam illaiya, Ashwin? Ungale pathi neenge yosikkalanaa koode paravale, what about Sivaangi? Does Sivaangi deserve your absence? Does she deserve heartache at this young age? Tabloids-le page page-ah ezhuthuvaan...Ashwin is close with his make-up artist, his stylist, athu ithunnu. Does she deserve to read that and go through the stress of feeling insecure?" Words flew furiously out of Mr Krishnan, stunning the three other persons into stillness.