Imagination 10: Love is a Decision

"Ashwin, avoid me all you want. But tell me so that I don't keep messaging and calling like a fool. If you don't call me in the next ten minutes, I will never speak with you again."

Ashwin did not expect to receive a message like this from Sivaangi. It wasn't like her to send such strongly worded texts, so the message scared him. He was already in the cab heading towards Chennai airport, and it won't be possible to talk with the driver around. So he messaged, "Sivaangi, I am in the cab and cannot talk. I'll call you after I reach the airport."

"No."

Ashwin frowned at her reply. What 'no'?

"What do you mean, Sivaangi?"

"You have 9.5 minutes left, Ashwin."

Ashwin let out a heavy sigh. He didn't know what to tell her if she were to ask him about yesterday, and he knew his replies would disappoint her. But her ultimatum left him with no choice. He called her albeit reluctantly.

"Hello." Her voice was like salve to his wounded senses.

"Hello, maa."

"Ashwin."

"Naan cab-le irukken. Seriya pesa mudiyaathu, appram phone pannatta?"

"No, no. I don't...Ashwin, I cannot wait. I cannot wait by the phone like a miserable little...for you to return my calls and messages. I did that last night, and it was the worst feeling in the world."

"Maa..."

"No, don't maa me, Ashwin," Sivaangi said curtly.

Ashwin went quiet at her tone.

"Yaen Coimbatorekku thideernu? Is everything okay?" asked Sivaangi.

"I am just going to visit my family, maa. Felt like seeing them."

"Oh. You felt like seeing them? Hmm, that's nice. So did you feel like speaking with me? I mean, you had the time to plan your day, arrange a flight, take a cab, but you couldn't answer my calls or reply to my messages illai, Ashwin? Especially after what happened with my father yesterday. You didn't think to check on me? Guess you didn't feel like it, huh?"

"Sivaangi maa," Ashwin said pleadingly in hushed tones, not wanting the driver to hear him.

"No, no, listen, you listen. Neenge yennai maa, Sivaangi maa-nnu koopdaatheenge. Neenge yethuvume pesaatheenge, Ashwin. Naan solrathey mattum kelunge. Neenge yaen ennode phone calls-eh return pannale, messages-kku thiruppi reply pannalaennu ennakku nallaa theriyum. Ungallukku yaennnu theriyuma?" asked Sivaangi, her words laced with disappointment.

Ashwin kept silent. She made him nervous with anticipation of what she was going to say next.

"Yaenna en vishyathule neenge yeppavumeh matthavange solrathe kaettuthaan mudivedupeenge, Ashwin. Unge manasaiyo illai en manasaiyo pathi neenge nenachathu kedaiyaathu. Ungallukku yennai eppavo pudichirunthathu aanaa neenge neraiya kolapathule iruntheenge...athanaale neenge unge manasule irukkaruthe enkitta sollaame, ennai eppavume oru distancele vachiruntheenge. Eppo enkitta unge love-ah sollanumnnu thonuchu? Naanum Vishalum cafele pesunathe kaettadhukku appuramthaan. Athuvum naan ungale virumburaennnu sonnathu ungaley baathikkale. Vishal pesunathuthaan ungaley motivate pannuchi. Do you remember what you told me the other day? Vishal pesunathe neenge kaetkalanaa neengalum naanum sernthurukka mudiyaathunnu soneenga. Athe maari, ippo enga appa yetho sollittaarunnu, neenge innoru mudiveduthuteenge, right? Yen ponnu kashtapadurappe unnale avalukkaage irukka mudiyaathu, oru normal relationship-eh avalukku kodukka mudiyaathu, ava insecure aayiduvaa, unnale ava azhuvaannu sonnathukkapuram inthe relationshipeh venaamnnu mudiveduthuteenge illaiya, Ashwin?"