Chapter 3

A/N: THIS CHAPTER ESCALATES QUICKLY. BRACE YOURSELF. (NO SMUT SO PUT DOWN YOUR HOLY WATER JEEZ THEY'RE 14)

Warnings: swearing, mentions of retards (I DO NOT PROMOTE THIS BUT THIS FOLLOWS THE STORY LINE. IF YOU ARE OFFENDED I'M SORRY), guns, ✨kissing✨

Word count: 1380

The next day, Caine sends Howard to give us a message. He stands awkwardly at our front door until I tell him to scram, then I raise my eyebrows at Drake.

'So, Anna and Emma, due to poof today.'

'Yup. Daycare?'

I nod, glancing over at him, finding icy blue eyes locked on me. My breath catches in my throat, and I glance away quickly, wishing he didn't make me feel the way I do.

We hide behind a few cars as they take the kids around the plaza. Emma poofs first, in the blink of an eye, and we see Sam, taking Anna's hand, looking into her eyes, and I check my watch.

'One twenty six,' I whisper. 'She's got one minute left.'

Drake's hand brushes against mine as he leans forward, trying to get a better view. Anna's shaking, terrified. One moment, she's there, the next she's gone, Sam's hands closing around nothing.

'We're done here,' Drake says after waiting a few more seconds. 'Let's go tell Caine.'

Caine looks up from the mayor's chair when we get into the office.

'What happened?' He asks eagerly.

'The older one went first. The second one was holding Diana's boy's hands when she poofed, as that idiot Quinn says. She was terrified, almost going to wet herself. One second there, then she vanished.'

'Sadism: the act of enjoying other's pain,' Diana drawls.

'Your words don't scare me,' Drake growls.

'Knock it off, you two,' Caine orders. 'I have five days to beat this. I - '

Computer Jack bursts in.

'I hacked Nurse Temple's laptop!' He says excitedly. Diana snatches it from him and slams the door in his face. She scans it, eyes jumping from line to line, her brow furrowed, and then she jumps to her feet.

'Where's that box?' She demands, and Caine points to the cupboard. She grabs it and tries to open it, but it's locked. I snort and grab a letter opener, inserting it into the lock and giving it a sharp twist. The cheap lock opens with a satisfying click, and Diana takes out a birth certificate. She throws a smirk at Caine.

'Well, well, well. Two little boys born on November the twenty second, one stays with his mother, one is taken away, adopted by another family.'

'No, no, no,' Caine growls, face going red. 'We don't look like each other, it could be a coincidence - '

'Fraternal twins,' Diana cuts in. 'Same mother and father, different eggs.'

'So you're saying Caine's mother chose to keep Sam over Caine,' Drake says.

I see it a moment too late. Caine turning to Drake, hand outstretched, and then an invisible force slams him hard against the wall. I feel my hand ball into fists, and it's like a string between Drake and I that only I can feel yanks me towards him, and I'm standing over his body, forcefield up, snarl on my lips.

'Do that one more time,' I dare.

'Remember who's the boss,' Caine spits, and I know I won't win this one, so I lower my hands, twisting around and helping Drake to his feet, eyes locked on Caine's, challenging him to go ahead and try.