2 - Post-Mortem Blues

"Robin?" he asked with a slight confirmation nod.

She looked down, unable to bend her neck.

Bill let an encouraging smile tug at his lips. "Is there anyone I can call for you?"

Frowning, she swallowed the lump in her throat. Her feathery fringes played with the wind, tickling her nose as she bit back tears and sniffled.

"No."

"Don't you have any other family?" His face dropped a bit, and his eyebrows creased with concern.

"No." Robin swallowed her discomfort as she adjusted in her seat. She tried not to let her mind drift to the accident, but the more she tried, the stronger the memory became.

"Hey, we need to get her to the hospital," the young paramedic attending to Robin's minor injuries said.

Robin glanced back and forth between the lanky paramedic and Bill.

Bill understood the hint, stood, said goodbye, and moved away from her view.

She felt her heart tumble, recognising the feeling as abandonment. Why did his leaving upset her? He knew nothing about her. To him, she was just another person in a car crash. Robin dug inside her mind to find the answer, yet none was supplied. Giving up, her attention turned to the irksome poking and prodding of the medics.

"You can relax, sweetie," a female medic said.

Robin allowed her head to rest on the puffy bed, but her muscles would not loosen. She scanned the interior of the ambulance, not looking for anything in particular. A smell similar to hand sanitiser burnt her nostrils. That alone pinched at a memory she did not want to resurface. Shaking the thought from her mind, Robin stared at the ceiling and began counting the bolts holding the ambulance together.

The voice of an older paramedic startled her. "Do you feel any pain anywhere?"

Robin shifted her gaze to the woman with her hair pulled back in a tight bun. "My head and my side."

"Can you show me where?"

"It-it just hurts. I don't know." Just thinking about the pain made it worse.

"Do you feel light-headed, any dizziness or nausea?"

The medics were getting fuzzy, but she wasn't about to tell her that her head felt like someone was using it as a spinning top.

"No, I'm fine." She flinched when something pricked the inside of her elbow. Whimpering Robin tried to see what was pinching it. The ache was dull but irksome like a mosquito bite.

"How about-" the woman pressed.

"I'm fine." Robin snapped with a glare. The tremours were dying, replacing it was exhaustion. Her eyes rolled as she tried to keep them open. From the corner of her eye, she saw the middle-aged woman sigh while writing on a notepad. Robin was so tired.

"From what I can see, it looks like you've only got a few scratches here and there, the doctors will run tests to make sure you're okay." The woman shoved the clipboard into her bag, and Robin was glad the interrogation was finished.

She returned a grunt. "I guess..."

"You'll be okay." The medic smiled. "Not many victims are as lucky."

Lucky? How was losing her parents lucky? Robin wanted to scream, but the effort would aggravate her head. Her chest throbbed with pain - not only physical but emotional pain. But she didn't want to discuss that issue at the moment. Instead, her jaw tightened as she gritted her teeth. She gave a jerky nod to satisfy the woman. A tear still managed to leak from her eye and onto the pillow. "Where are we going?"