8 - Face Down

8 - Face Down

By the time curfew rolled around, Robin's fight was depleted. Somehow she made it upstairs, but the event slipped her mind. Through a daze, she completed her bedtime chores. Both girls proved exhausted as they quickly fell into a slumber.

"Er?" Her forehead smoothed gently. "Erin, wake up."

"What? Where's Mommy?"

"I, uh, I'm not sure. Your father said she'll be here tomorrow," Robin whispered. "What's wrong? You were talking in your sleep."

"Oh, uh, nothing. I'm okay."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"Alright. I'm going back to sleep, okay."

"Okay."

Neither of them slept well, each having a one-track mind focused on their parents.

Ding, dong! The doorbell chimed, followed by a prompt rap.

Robin's head shot up from the dish in her hand.

Erin jumped to her feet as she raced out of the kitchen. "Mommy's here!" Erin squealed as she ran with her ladybird rucksack to answer the door. Swinging the door open, she unlocked the storm door and jumped into her mother's arms.

"Hi! How's my Erry Berry doing?"

"Great! Come 'er Momma!" Erin dragged the fox into the kitchen where Robin stood washing the utensils.

Relieved by the gentle greetings, Robin turned back to the sink. Her fingers were getting wrinkled from the spray. She dried her hands on the tea towel and faced the females.

"Hi, I'm Erin's mother, Molly." Gently, Mrs Bishop took Robin's hand in her own. Her hand was slim and smooth from the soap.

"Good morning, ma'am." She offered a polite smile. Her eyes barely met the straight haired lady with a giant grin. "My name's Robin."

"It's a pleasure to meet you. Gary's not giving you too much trouble is he?" Her voice held a laugh, but her eyes deceived her.

A silent admonish issued underneath her jollity, Robin could feel it in her gut. 'Gary?' Robin wracked her brain, and then the search proved rewarding. Robin shook her crown. "No, ma'am, not at all." The woman was nosey, Robin could sense it.

"What about me?"

"Speak of the devil," she joked to the girls before he entered the room.

Mr Bishop quirked his brow but shook his head, losing his curiosity. "Hello, Molly. How are you?"

"I'm well, thank you. Yourself?"

"Good, thanks. Well, I'm sure Erin is dying to spend the weekend with you, so let's not keep her waiting." He wanted Mrs Bishop out of the house quick, that was evident, his tone of voice was clear.

Robin watched the two, searching for his tells hidden and revealed.

The way his shoulders rolled and his chest puffed out claimed his authority. Mrs Bishop, on the other hand, tucked her already tucked hair behind her ear. The only thing they shared in common was their itch to leave one another's sight. Tension hung in the air like hydrogen molecules clung to oxygen.

"Can we go to Storybook Land? You promised that you'd take me!" Happy for the relief, Mrs Bishop swung Erin on her hip. "Do you have everything?"

"Mmhm!"