3 - Story of My Life

Robin and Ms Hartman watched as the man in his black uniform entered the room. He walked straight up to Robin, carrying his head up with an air of confidence.

Robin raised an eyebrow while he walked further into the room. She fidgeted as he neared her.

"I'm Sergeant Murphy with the Gloucester County Homicide Unit." He flashed his badge. Before speaking again, he coughed, clearing his throat. "I need to get the victim's statement." The adults both stared at Robin.

She didn't like the attention, it made her uncomfortable. Nervously, Robin bit her lower lip, playing with it with as her fingers traced her nails.

Registering Robin's discomfort, Ms Hartman took the liberty of introducing herself. "I'm Ms Hartman, her social worker." They exchanged brief handshakes.

"Okay, I just need her statement and then I'll be on my way."

Robin watched the hushed exchange with careful eyes.

"Right." Ms Hartman moved back to Robin. "If you need a break or anything, just let Sergeant Murphy know, okay? I'll be here making sure that you're okay." She sat down in the chair, folding her legs over one another.

"I assume you know why I'm here," he said.

"You're here about my parents." Robin rushed her sentence. No need to make this inevitable conversation more awkward or longer than it needed to be.

"I am, and I'm sorry to report that they're... they're no longer alive." There was a long pause as he looked at her.

Robin kept her eyes on her lap, unappreciative of the pitying expression he gave. "I know," she whispered at last. Her chest squeezed.

He took a breath and exhaled. "I'm sorry to ask this, but do you know of anyone that would have wanted to do your parents harm? Did they ever mention having enemies or being threatened?" Sgt Murphy asked.

"Yeah, they made a few enemies."

"Do you know of their enemies' names?"

"No."

"What did they do for a living?"

"My father and mother worked as business owners of their company," Robin explained.

"What did they sell?"

Robin noticed a slight change in his voice, his impatience, but she shrugged it off. "Handbags, backpacks, totes, things like that."

"Do you know who they sold this stuff to?"

"Guys would usually show up when they wanted, and my parents would do business in their office. Then they'd leave."

"Were you ever there when they did their exchanges?"

She shook her head. "Not much. Mostly I was in my room or doing something else."

"When you were there, do you know why these guys came around?"

"Just clients buying stuff for their wives, I guess," she said, shrugging.

"So they showed up randomly, no appointments?"

"Not from what I know."

"Did you ever catch any of these men's' faces?" he asked.

"I wasn't paying attention."

"Was there anyone who ever came frequently?"

"No one in particular."