12 - Secrets

12 - Secrets

She stared at the plate on the side table. It was covered with untouched gravy and beans. The green beans peeking out from the brown sauce frowned at Ms Collins. "Robin, are you sure you're not hungry? You haven't been eating much," she said.

"No, I'm okay. Thanks."

"Please, Robin. Promise you'll eat later on today." Sighing, she picked up the plate. Her brows furrowed.

"Okay." The promise was hollow, they both knew it. Neither wanted to admit it though, preferring to stay in denial.

Ms Collins stood and dragged her feet to the kitchen. "Gary, I'm going to pack the stuff I left behind," she said as she walked to the base of the stairs.

"They're in the bedroom closet. Top shelf on the right." His voice came from the kitchen.

The sink ran as plates stacked in the cabinets.

Ding dong!

"I'll get the door!" The floorboards creaked as Erin galloped down the hall.

Robin sat in the reclining chair dully watching the action on the television screen. Her eyes were there, but her mind was elsewhere.

"Hello, little one. Mr Bishop." A woman said.

She didn't bother to turn and look. The energy to do so would be overwhelming. The bags beneath her eyes sagged to the floor, highlighting the paleness in her pigment. So exhausted.

"Gary, I can't find it!"

"Hold on, Robin's social worker's here!"

"Oh, that's okay. I actually need to talk with Robin anyway."

She groaned inwardly as her eyes closed. Talking to people about herself was worse than all the exams in the world.

"Robin, hey. How are you doing?" Her head tilted to the side, trying to see Robin's face.

Snail-like, she averted her gaze. "Good afternoon, Ms Hartman. I'm fine. Yourself?" Her fingers slow-danced in her lap. She wanted rest.

"I'm just dandy!"

Ms Hartman's perky tone irked her. It was too happy for Robin's taste. Forcing a polite smile, Robin nodded.

"How are you holding up?"

She was tempted to shrug. "I'm fine."

An unsatisfactory glare leapt to the social worker's face. As she scooted beside her, she leant in closer. "Robin, you know I'm not asking if you're fine. Must you be this complicated? I thought we were on speaking terms?" Her voice was gentle but the agitation was bold.

"We are. It's just there's nothing to report. What do you want from me?" Yawning, Robin covered her mouth.

"Have you been sleeping?"

Stifling the next yawn, Robin gulped. "Ms Hartman, I'm getting my beauty sleep, okay."

"Your bed head says different." Her eyebrow quirked as a disbelieving smirk flashed.

She blinked. 'Way to make a girl self-conscious,' Robin complained. As she flattened her hair, she kept her eyes down.

"I'm worried about you. What's going on here?"

"Nothing."

Shooting up, her hands flew to her hips. The golden coloured suit jacket covering her arms wrinkled. Narrowing her eyes, they shot daggers. "Stop being so stubborn! I know you're a teenager, but you need to answer truthfully!" Her patience was drowning.