13 - Family

13 - Family

"Robin!" She ran up to her, throwing her arms around her waist as tears streamed down the little girl's cheeks.

Kneeling, she tilted her head back to see Erin. Straight away, another wave of guilt washed over her. Her head whirled with pain. She didn't want to cry in front of the small redhead. She was supposed to be strong and not break down. But how could she remain stoic? Her emotions were so strong, so intense, so omnipotent. Robin's tears mixed with Erin's as she squeezed the girl she had come to love over the past months.

But, she knew it would all be for the best - for both of them. They needed to get out of that house, and if it meant giving up her own happiness in trade for both of their safety, the decision was well worth it. That was the reason she told herself.

"Come on, Robin," said Ms Hartman. The woman with her attractive suit stood patiently by the red car.

Slowly, purposefully, Robin stood up. "Erin, make sure you stay the great little girl you are. Help out your mother, and go easy on her."

Erin wiped away her tears with the side of her index finger. "Write me, okay?" She asked.

"I will, you too?"

Erin nodded with a small smile. "And call too!"

Robin gave the girl one last hug. "Of course."

"Erin." Ms Collins said. Having gotten their attention, she walked up to Robin. Having already said her goodbyes, it was easier to let her go. Embracing Robin, she whispered, "Stay safe, and I want you to know that you always have a place to stay with us. You have our number, don't be shy to call it."

"Thank you, Ms Collins." She pulled back, the warmth from the two girls left her body, replacing the warm with coldness. Her heart slipped as she turned around. She will herself not to look back knowing her emotions would break like a porcelain doll, but she couldn't help herself from turning around. It was an impossible urge to evade.

"It's gonna be okay," Ms Hartman said. She slipped into the driver's seat, closing the door.

Robin lingered out the passenger's side before climbing in. Her eyes fell to her feet as did her heart, causing her chest to hurt. The pain was as worse as a child learning for the first time that there was no such man who gave free presents because of his or her merit. She sniffled, biting her lip as her eyes glazed over. Averting her gaze to the tinted window beside her, she let the tears drip from her lashes.

"It's okay, Robin." The woman with manicured nails softly touched Robin's sleeve.

"I guess." She cupped her neck, absentmindedly rubbing her warm skin. Her fingers travelled to the collar of her black shirt with an 'I Heart Yoshi' message on her chest. They played with the seams as her mind drifted away.

Robin's head shot up from the tiles as she jumped to her feet. Her knees felt like they were going to fail her as she struggled to stretch her legs. As she toddled to the front door, she kept her balance with some help from the wall. The three locks unlocked and the door cracked open. A huge smile appeared on Robin's lips, feeling unnatural to her cheeks but spread at an eagle wingspan just the same. Her fingers twisted the golden storm door lock.