39

The next afternoon, Noel was playing guitar in a spare bedroom and Alison was sitting on the couch in the living room watching TV with Ava. There was a knock on the door and Alison got up to answer it. She opened the door and a woman stood there. They looked at each other for a minute then the woman spoke.

"Is Noel here?" She smiled.

"Uh...yeah." Alison said as she wondered who the woman was. 

"Can I speak with him? It shouldn't take long."

"Ok." Alison said reluctantly, "I'll get him."

She closed the door and walked to the spare bedroom where Noel was. She walked into the room and Noel looked at her and stopped strumming his guitar.

"There's someone here to see you." She said.

"Who is it?" Noel asked as he set his guitar down. 

"Some woman." Alison shrugged and tried to not act bothered.

"Oh must be my PA." He said then Alison followed him out of the room and to the front door. He looked at her.

"I'll be right back." He said and opened the door and walked out of house, closing the door behind him. 

"D'ya have it?" He asked his PA.

"Yes. It's beautiful." She smiled as she handed him a small box.

He took it and pushed it into his jeans pocket. 

"Come in and meet them." He said.

"Ok." She said.

He opened the door and they stepped inside.

Alison tried to pretend she hadn't been staring at the door and forced a smile. 

"Alison, this is my PA, Kat." He said to Alison them turned to his PA.

"This is Alison."

"Hi, it's so nice to meet you. Noel's told me so much about you." Kat smiled.

"Nice to meet you too." Alison smiled.

"And this is Ava." Noel gestured toward Ava, who was sitting on the floor watching TV. She looked over at Noel then looked at Kat.

"Hi Ava. What are ya watching?" Kat smiled.

"I'm watching Trolls movie." Ava said.

"Oh, that's a good one." Kat smiled and Ava did too.

"Ok, well I better go. I have lots of things to do before the gigs start tomorrow." Kat said.

"Ok, we'll see you tomorrow then." Noel said.

Kat looked at Alison.

"Nice meeting you Alison."

"You too." Alison said.

She followed Noel to the front door and he opened it.

"Bye." She said as she stepped outside. 

"Bye." Noel said and closed the door. 

He turned and looked at Alison. 

"I'm gonna go to the toilet." He said and dissappeared down the hall.

Alison sat trying not to get upset, but her anxiety was making her think all sorts of things. She was convinced Noel was hiding something. She was beginning to think he was fucking his PA. 

"Don't be fucking ridiculous." She told herself, but was really struggling to take that advice.

Noel quickly went into the spare bedroom and took the box out of his pocket. He opened the closet door and put the box on the top shelf of the closet. Then he returned to the living room. Alison looked at him suspiciously.