Chapter 7

"What have I done...?"

Hours later...

It was already night time and the rain had stopped pouring. Fischl was sound asleep on her bed after crying. All that was left was the dried tears on her face. The others didn't hear a single weep nor peep coming from her room, it gave them calmness yet a sense of how uncannily scary it was, how quiet she was. Bennett quietly came up the stairs although his creaking of the wood made him cringe because of how loud it was in a quiet moment. He opened the door slightly and peeked his head in. There, he saw Fischl sleeping on her bed. But, he saw how she was shivering a lot.

Quiet but carefully trying not to alarm her, he entered the room and slipped the blanket on her. That somehow didn't alarm her, she was in a night of deep sleep after all of that wailing. Clearly, exhausted after all of that sobbing. After that was done, he did not hesitate to leave but at the doorway, he looked back once again to check on her. After confirming she was okay in her slumber, he went on with his business. Just then moments later, he went inside her room again to get the glass of water on her desk and the half-drunk cup of hot chocolate on the bedside table just to wash it. Then he officially left.

With the others...

"Did you not tell her about the solution to breaking the curse?"
Xingqiu asked, sitting down on the couch with Chongyun while asking Oz as he laid his claws on the coffee table.

"I couldn't. I've seen her cry every day, pity on the innocent lives she has taken. Telling Mein Fräulein how to break the curse will devastate her even more, knowing that her chances of breaking it will be very low."

Silence ran by like a harsh but quick howl of the wind. The two boys didn't know what to say.

"But hey, at least it's not that bad, right? I-it's just starting, right??"
Xingqiu nervously chuckled.

"I'm afraid not, she's been feeling guilty ever since she turned 15. That's when the curse turned her over. Mein Fräulein is 17 and 9 months from now, she'll be turning 18. Today is September 12. The curse has affected her greatly yet she doesn't notice it's corrupting her more as we speak."

"I'm starting to think she isn't guarding her land anymore, she's becoming a corrupted murderer who thinks she's protecting her home."
Chongyun admitted, crossing his arms.

"That's exactly what she thinks too."

"Is there any other way to break the curse rather than.. that solution?"
Xingqiu asked with a clear concerned tone.

Oz knew what Xingqiu was talking about so he didn't question.

"I've tried everything to rid the curse within her. I've tried ripping out the artifact off the tree but it was stuck there like it was chained there for eternity. I've tried to convince her to go to the outside world so that she wouldn't live in that damp, dim forest but she refused, staying true to her command. I've tried to convince her multiple times that it wasn't her fault for her actions, it didn't work. I have tried to hide her weapons to stop her from this madness, but they were too heavy."

"Why would you want to let her go to the outside world?"
Chongyun asked.

"I thought the curse would be gone at that point, but thinking about it now — it will only make it worse."