taken.

We'd heard the lockdown warning in the mall, the impending threat of the League of Villians descending upon our area, clueless of when and where they were going to reign chaos. Just knowing they were coming.

We'd followed protocol. We'd locked down the store and dropped the metal gates. We'd ran to the back of the store, prepared to dive into the nearest hiding place. We'd watched the safety videos and signed the agreements that we knew what to do in these kind of situations. We'd done the drills a billion times. We knew what to do when this happened. Or at least, we thought so.

Then the alarms went off. No longer a warning. They were here. We were the target.

It was immediate chaos. A jewellery kiosk was thrown through the front windows of the bakery, blasted forward by a wall of fluorescent blue flames. All hell broke loose. I dove behind the counter, crawling into the cabinet and slamming the door shut, trying rapidly to calm my breathing. I heard my manager's calm direction of staff and customers alike turn into incoherent, pained screaming.  The crash and crackle of unnatural flames hitting the sneeze guard glass above the counter roared above me, so loud that the corkboard cabinet and marbled counter top barely muffled the roar. I stifled a scream as I heard three loud, body-like thuds bouce against the other side of the counter.

Did the blast throw those people? Or was it one of them?

The crackle of flames grew louder. I heard haunting, demented laughter - a woman? But the laughter grew farther away. More shouting. The voices grew different. Muffled. Distant. Gleeful. I could make out at least 4.

But they remained close enough, still, that I could hear them - however muffled they sounded from in here - which meant I still was not safe. So there I remained; just my rapid breathing and the roar of fire consuming the mall.

I stayed quiet for what felt like an eternity. It was growing hotter and the smell of hot metal and burnt wood and - and, I shuddered - flesh - was growing more intense, and I knew I couldn't safely stay in this cabinet forever. If the League didn't get me, the fire would. I had to do something.

My quirk was not a helpful one, especially not in this situation.

I took a few deep breaths. And I opened the cabinet, just a sliver. And in doing so, I made a fatal mistake.

Through the hypnotic blue flames slowly licking up the walls, through the heavy veil of smoke that was rapidly thickening, I could see a tall, ghostly figure opening the cabinets in the very back of the store. Their trenchcoat floated almost unnaturally around the tops of their thick black boots. I watched them hold each cabinet door for a moment...before it errupted into more of those cursed blue flames.

As they moved closer, the long, shaggy, disheveled black hair became clearer. They were coming closer. I could see the ends of their sleeves poking out from the baggy ends of their jacket sleeves. The villain turned towards the break room door and pressed their palm to it, and I stifled a scream as it burst into flames before crumbling into ashes at the ground.

"Did you really think you could hide in here?" He. This blue flamed monster was a he. And he sounded so unnervingly, genuinely amused. His voice was deep and gravelly, like he'd gargled Brillo pads every day of his life.

And then he laughed. A haunting, hollow, almost taunting laugh.

And then they screamed. There were at least two of them in there - I could hear them. Massive blue flames flew back out of the room, dancing around him, licking at his coattails as the force whipped his trenchcoat backwards, revealing a form fitting white t-shirt and tattered black jeans clinging to his tall, muscular frame.