Chapter 9

I lean against the wall as blood pours out of my arm and my vision clears. Ben groans against the far wall as he slowly rises. Someone wraps their arm around me and asks something.

"What?"

"Are you okay? What's wrong?"

"I'm fine, Poe." I say as I keep my eye on Ben. I reach my hand out of Poe's grasp, but find myself stuck. I look over and see Poe's eyes look at Ben, frightened. He shakes as though trying to move. That's when I remember something. I glance over at Ben and see him holding out his hand, keeping Poe in place.

"If you won't die, I'll kill everyone you care about and let you watch. Then I'll kill you slowly." Ben says. I struggle against Poe's hold on my arm as Ben stalks closer. A loud bang sounds from the far wall. A boulder has landed on Jannah's arm. Her mother walks towards her and talks quietly.

"Bring my husband back!" she yells and thrashes her saver down towards Jannah. I watch hopelessly and in slow motion when I see Finn out of the corner of my eye holding out his hands and concentrating with his eyes closed. The room groans and Jannah cries out. She wiggles out from underneath the boulder before her mothers blade slashes it in two. Finn releases the boulder and a loud crunch sounds in the room. For a second, I think Jannah was still under the rock, but I realized two things at once. First, the loud sound was Jannah's lightsaber underneath the boulder. Second, as I watched the commotion around me, I wasn't watching Ben. A gasp sound in my ear. I look down and Poe stares at me with a blue lightsaber through his chest. He slides to the floor as Ben switches his lightsaber off. I shriek and kneel next to Poe. I place my hands on his chest and feel his heartbeat slow. I begin to transfer a bit of myself into him, but get stopped when I'm frozen in place. Poe's face turns whiter and whiter and his eyes slowly glaze over.

"Noooo!" Finn yells. His voice echoes through the cavern, full of anguish and sadness. "You'll pay for this." Finn charges towards Ben who has his lightsaber in his hand. Tears fall down my face as I sit frozen next to Poe's lifeless body. Finn turns out to be a great fighter and trained Jedi. Ben loosens his grip on my body and I slowly reach my hand out. Blood covers Poe's shirt and drenches my hand. My body prickles with needles as I freeze and unfreeze. Slowly, I transfer a bit of my soul into Poe even though it might be too late. I came up with a quick idea that could drain me, but decide to do it anyway. I close my eyes and feel the prickle of a new sensation. I transfer a bit of lightning into his chest and wait. I hear a cry of laughter and shock. I turn and see Finn sink to his knees. He stares up at Ben with helplessness. He holds his arm close to him. Ben raises his lightsaber and slashes down towards Finn.

"Stop!" I yell. "Kill me. You want me, so kill me."

"Rey, no. The rebellion needs you. They don't need me. They never have." Finn yells. Ben looks at me and steps back. I stand up and drop my lightsaber at my feet. It's no use trying to fight. I step into the spotlight of the moon and wait for death to find me. I see Leia, Luke, Yoda and Obi-wan standing in the shadows. I try to feel peace knowing that's where I'll end up, but I can't help feeling sadness. Sadness from always wanting to have a family. Sadness for wanting to be loved and wanted and not alone. "Rey, don't do this. There's got to be a better way." Finn yells.

"There isn't. Thanks for being my friend." I say before the blade enters my chest and I stare into cold brown eyes.