Chapter 42

Jake was anxiously clutching his phone praying and hoping that Brent would text or call to confirm he was coming. Jonah had convinced Delaney to lay down. She had been all over the apartment all day cleaning and doing laundry. But she needed to be prepared for tonight. He hoped that she could rally and help him pull this off.

A few minutes later Jake's phone buzzed and he about jumped out of his skin. It was Brent saying he would be there in an hour. Jonah sat down next to Jake on the couch and bumped his shoulder into his. 

"This is going to work, Jake. I can feel it." Jonah said.

"I hope you're right. I never thought I'd ever be in a situation like this. Jenna and I lead quiet lives. We're not partiers. I mean, she calls me a man whore constantly. And she's right." Jake chuckled thinking about those fond memories of Jenna making fun of him for having a few flings. "But we are simple people, Jonah." Jake said as he hung his head.

"None of this is anyone's fault but Edwin, Brent and whoever else they're working with. Neither of you did anything to deserve this. Or did anything to bring this on yourselves. In fact in sounds like Edwin has had a sinister plan all along. It's going to be okay. I'm going to wake up Delaney so we can prepare her." Jonah said as he stood up. Jake nodded his head and leaned back on the couch. This was going to work, it had too.

A few minutes later they were all sitting at the kitchen table explaining to Delaney what she needed to do. Jake watched as her hands trembled slightly and tears pooled in her eyes.

"Delaney, I'm going to be right next to you. You're safe. Okay?" Jake said as he reached across the table and grabbed her hand.

"Okay. I think I'm more worried about blowing it by tackling Brent and pummeling him." Delaney said quietly.

"Well, let's save that for when Jenna is back safely." Jonah said with a proud smirk on his face.

The plan was set and they were all as ready as they could be. It was about 6:45 when headlights shined in the front window. Jake knew it was him. Jonah and Jake made eye contact and Jonah got up with the tracker in hand and headed out the side door to the back patio. Thankfully the sun had gone down and Jonah would be covered by darkness as he planted the tracker. Jake had given Jonah the rundown on which car he knew Brent would be driving. 

Delaney took a deep breath and walked into the living room just like they had discussed. She would make her grand entrance after Brent got settled at the table with his back strategically to the front window.

There was a knock at the front door and Jake steeled himself as he walked towards it. Don't kill him on sight, Jake, just don't. Jake opened the door and there was the cocky sun of a bitch with a bouquet of sunflowers and a stuffed panda bear. Jake internally rolled his eyes. This guy was trying to hard. Jake noticed he hand a large bandage on his left hand. Hmm, Jake thought

"Hey Jake. How are you, man?" Brent asked.

"I honestly could be better." Jake said quietly. He wasn't lying "Come on in and take a seat." Jake sad as he pulled out a chair for Brent.

"Um, where's Jenna? Is she still sick?" Brent asked.

"That's what we need to talk to you about." Jake replied

"We?"

That's when Delaney made her entrance. She was a beautiful woman. And her gracefulness was very evident in the way she walked and carried herself. When she walked into the kitchen Jake could tell that Brent was taken aback by her presence. Why wouldn't she be here you fucking prick, Jake thought to himself.