Chapter five

-Fennel's POV-

It was only midday and dark clouds had rolled in. The wind blew, rustling the trees above me. I walked, arrow notched and low to the ground.

Cinder was overreacting. I knew she was on edge in the first place, but I didn't think it would make her trust of me waver.

I heard movement in the bushes ahead of me and raised my bow.

A hawk flew straight out at me and almost hit me. I ducked, falling to the ground with the surprise. "What the...." I mumbled to myself. As I got up, I brushed myself off. Grabbing my bow, I kept going.

-Cinder's POV-

I starred at the apple in disbelief and picked it up. Just then the door slammed behind me, making me jump and drop the apple.

A man stepped out of the shadows wearing steampunk looking goggles around his head. His somewhat dark copper eyes sparkled and he smiled charmingly at me, "Hello Cinder." He readjusted the cuffs of his lab coat.

"How do you know me?" I asked, leaning against the table as he walked closer.

"What, you don't know me?" He asked, motioning to himself. I shook my head slowly. "Shame, real shame. You see, I know who you are. I know you better that you think."

"Oh really? How's that?" I ask again. By then I was completely on the table and trying to stall.

He smiled again, "Oh I know some people." He shrugged and put out his hand for a handshake, "I'm Alloy."

I stared at it then looked up at him. I picked up the apple off the floor, "Is this yours? Sorry, it may be a bit dirty now..."

He grabbed it out of my hand and checked it over. Then he took a massive bite out of it and threw it to the side, "I-" he paused to chew and swallow, "I have a proposition for you."

I stayed silent, still staring. Alloy took my silence for a chance to talk, "Come to my side," he said plainly, motioning to himself again.

I narrowed my eyes, "Your side? And what side is that?"

"Why, the dark side of corse" Alloy said extravagantly.

I huffed, "and why would I do that?" I asked, standing straight.

He took a step back and his face darkened, "I'm not someone you want as an enemy...."

I stared again, "Who are you, Alloy?"

He smiled again, but smaller and less inviting, "I'm surprised that you don't know." his eyes started to glow.

"It can't be..... but only power wo-"

"Exactly!" He interrupted, pulling back the sides of his lab coat to show two pistols. His face darkened and he stepped to the side, "You have exactly 5 seconds to run."