Chapter sixteen

-Cinder's POV-

I woke up early in the morning, right when the sun was rising.

After I got dressed and walked out into the camp, I saw Fennel talking to Bolt.

I looked around and didn't see anyone else except for Hydro.

He stood with a smile and a backpack. His eyes sparkled in the growing light. I smiled back and walked over.

He helped me put the backpack on. "You're brave Cinder...."

I didn't know what to say, "You would have done the same..." Was all I could say.

"But I'm not, and we don't know how dangerous it is out there. Not just anyone would risk their lives like this..." He said.

I looked at him. His expression, I would never forget, full of love and passion and I didn't know why but my eyes filled tears. He hugged me tightly, as if letting go would be letting my life force float away. I hugged him back. Then I pulled away, not completely letting him go. My hand went up to his face and I pulled down his cover, his smile hidden underneath revealed. Then he leaned down and kissed me, the passion from his eyes fueling it as I kissed back. I knew it was a goodbye kiss, a kiss for the last because I might never come back. A tear slid down my cheek, I never wanted to let go. This perfect moment, kissing in the orange of the rising sun. But I pulled away. He looked at me with the same passion, "I love you...."

'I love you too.....' I thought as me and Fennel walked away, Ivory behind us, the start of a new journey.