Chapter 30

"...I think it's time..." I let out nervously while looking at the wet sheets. My breathing quickens and I feel my heart pounding at the realization.

"Okay...it's okay, baby you got this. Come on." Lorenzo comes over to my side of the bed so he can help me to stand up. As I do I feel a sharp pain shoot through me and I grab Lorenzo's hand harder as if that would help.

He waits for me to recover before we slowly start moving towards the closet. I take the first maternity dress he hands me and he helps me to put it on so I don't go in my wet nightgown. 

I sit on the edge of the bed where is dry while Lorenzo puts some sweatpants and a t-shirt on. When he's ready he gently picks me up and leaves our bedroom to go downstairs. He grabs the bag with stuff we might need for the babies and opens the front door to bring me to his car.

As he puts me down on the passenger seat, he pulls the seatbelt over me and leaves a quick kiss on my lips to calm me down.

He keeps his hand intertwined with mine the whole ride towards the hospital, occasionally bringing it towards his lips to leave kisses on my knuckles as a way to show he's here with me while I go through contractions.

After a few minutes, I see the familiar road meaning we are close to the hospital but just then another contraction hits me and I let out a hiss while my head bends down.

"I'm here baby, just breathe we're almost there." He tries to help me but it hurts too much I barely hear him.

Finally, we come to a stop and he rushes out so he can get to my side and help me out. He tries calling out a nurse that just went out of the building and she comes rushing towards us to help me get to the entrance.

She calls for someone to get the wheelchair so I don't have to walk and pushes me towards the labor room once I'm seated. Lorenzo doesn't let go of my hand even for a second and keeps pulling some loose strands of hair out of my face.

The same nurse from before and a few that are in the labor room help me to get settled in the bed and prepare everything they'll need for the labor. I shut my eyes tightly as another contraction hits me and this one lasts the longest.

Lorenzo immediately comes by my side when the nurses move away and he leaves repeated kisses on my forehead to somehow help me ease the pain.

"We need to get her doctor before we start. I think you're opened enough honey so prepare for pushing. You'll meet your babies soon." An older nurse smiles at me and I nod my head nervously. This is it.

"Okay, here I am. Is my beautiful patient ready?" Dr. Richards smiles gently at me and I try to return it but I guess she understands that I'm in pain and that it's time.

"Okay now take a deep breath and push, come on honey." I listen and grab Lorenzo's hand tighter as I push for the first time.

"That's it, good job. Now let's repeat." She smiles to make it easier for me and I do the same actions again. The pain is almost unbearable. I feel tears sliding down my cheeks but Lorenzo quickly kisses them away as I try to push again.

"There we go, I can see the little head. Push again for me darling, come on. Yes just like that we're close." I let out a groan as I try to take another deep breath and push again.

Another set of tears fall when I hear the cries of our baby. Dr. Richards smiles as she ushers the nurse to cut the umbilical cord. I watch Lorenzo as he wipes his cheek when he looks over at our baby girl and I finally smile at him.

He looks down at me and leaves a gentle kiss on my lips before I have to focus on my breathing again. The doctor tells me to push and I do it but groan out in pain again. I can feel that I'm losing energy and that it's even harder to push now.