Chapter Thirty-Five

The room was so quiet, Arielle couldn't quite figure out what woke her. She sat up slowly, and with a bit of a wince. Thirty hours post delivery and she was still a bit sore, but feeling better than she had been.

Thorin was not in bed beside her. She carefully eased to the edge of the mattress and slid her feet into her house shoes, then reached for her velvet wrap. It was so cold in the house, despite the fires that burned seemingly twenty-four hours a day.

Tiriana's cradle was empty.

With a smile, she padded out into the great room and paused when she saw them—Thorin sitting on the wide windowsill, his head back, eyes closed, and their daughter cradled against his chest. The baby whimpered, and her heart melted when she heard him whisper, "Shhh.... little one. Let momma sleep. You have no idea what she's been through to bring you into the world."

Tiriana whimpered again, then shifted slightly against her father's chest before going quiet once more. Thorin brushed his lips against the top of her head and whispered, "My girl..."

"How long have you been up?" Arielle whispered, her hand coming to rest on his shoulder.

"About an hour. She was fussing and I wanted you to rest. But," he looked up at her through sleepy eyes, "I think I'm going to lose that battle, since she is probably hungry."

"I appreciate it just the same." She gave his shoulder a squeeze as Tiriana whimpered, then began to cry. With a soft sigh, Arielle unlaced her chemise and sank onto the sill across from him. "I can take her."

He leaned over and carefully passed her the baby, and as Tiriana latched on, he said, "This is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen, love."

"Then why do you blush each time I nurse her?"

"Because those beautiful breasts were mine for such a long time, I am not quite used to seeing them put toward their intended purpose." He settled back against his side of the window. "And it is something to see, really. Every dwarf, elf, and man, should be witness to this."

"To me or anyone in general?"

He chuckled softly. "Well, I'll admit I don't mind sharing with Tiriana, but I will not share you with any other dwarf, elf, or man, so..."

She smiled. "Oh, now that's a relief."

Tiriana pushed her nipple out and wriggled about with a plaintive cry. Arielle shifted her to her shoulder, tugged her chemise closed with her free hand, then patted the baby on the back. It took several minutes before she belched and was ready to nurse more.

As the baby settled back against her, Arielle looked up to find Thorin just gazing at them with a look of wonder she'd never seen before. "Thorin?"

He looked up, offering up a sheepish smile. "I apologize, love. I cannot help it."

"Did you send word to Isarrel?"

"I did not."

"What?"

"I know you trust Amara of Rivendell more, so I sent word to Elrond, asking if we might borrow her for a week or two while you recuperate." He eased from the windowsill and moved to stand beside her. "I thought you would be happier with her."

"He will never agree to it. But thank you."

"Never say never, love. Stranger things have happened."

Tiriana pulled away again and this time, Thorin reached for her, bringing her to his shoulder while Arielle relaced her chemise. Only this time, instead of just belching, Tiriana spit up as well and Arielle bit back a smile at the pained look on Thorin's face.