Part 4 - Day on the Job

I sat on the bus across from Reigen and Mob. Reigen had been doing most of the talking, while I mostly wondered why I agreed to come.

"So this guy says he usually has the best corn in town, but his harvest this year has been pretty terrible and whenever he tries to cook it, the corn turns brown and all the kernels fall out or something like that." Reigen gestured to the large briefcase he brought with him. "So I brought my spirit-soil test kit."

"You're not just testing the pH of the soil, are you?" I replied.

"No, no, this kit is so much more. You wouldn't understand. It can pick up negative energies from up to 20 feet below the ground."

"Yeah. I don't really see how that makes sense, but I feel better figuring that we're really just checking out the soil or something like that."

"If that's what makes you feel better. Mob will pick up on the weaker spirits that I'm too strong to perceive, so we'll find out."

I was still in shock about Mob, but I guess I was trying to push that thought out of my head. Yeah, unless there was some crazy optical illusion, Mob was the real deal. At least, he had telekinetic powers for sure. I didn't want to start processing that information yet - I might start getting paranoid about spirits again.

We were on the outskirts of Salt City. The sun was starting to set when we finally arrived at our stop. "Why come now when it's getting dark?" I was getting nervous.

"I had to wait for Mob to get out of school." Reigen said simply.

Right. Well, at least Mob could protect me.

"Are you nervous, Y/N?" Mob asked.

"No... well..." Mob was a nice kid, I could be honest. "Yeah, I am. I don't like scary stuff. At all. Reigen should know this."

"And that's why you need exposure therapy!" Reigen said enthusiastically. "You'll see there's nothing to worry about. And you'll believe me by the end of it." We approached the farm. "Hey, Y/N, do you think you might have some latent psychic powers?"

"I highly doubt it."

"Well, we'll see." He knocked at the client's door, who immediately answered.

"Oh, finally you're here." The man looked exasperated. "I only have a little left on the field, and I really would like to be able to use some of what's there."

"No problem, sir. I'll take the deposit for now."

I trudged along behind Reigen and Mob as they entered the middle of the corn field. Reigen promptly started collecting the soil.

Being out in the countryside, once the sun set, it was dark. Really dark. "Do you guys have a flashlight or something?"

"Let your eyes adjust to the moonlight." Reigen was dismissive and focused on doing something with his soil testing kit.

I shivered and glanced at Mob. He was looking up at the sky.

"Um, Master?"

I looked above. Crows began to circle us. I immediately felt nauseous.

"I don't sense anything, Mob, it's fine." Reigen assured, without even looking at the sky.

"Are you sure? Because I think there's a bad aura here..."

"Must be too weak for me to detect. Can you take care of it?"

In that instant, the dirt beneath our feet started to shake slightly. The corn stalks surrounding us started to visibly wilt and wither. It felt like a movie.

"Weak?"

I yelped. A large shadow loomed over us, and a voice came from it - I could feel almost a pressure emanating from it, the air became chilly, the crows circled in closer. Mob approached it. I instinctively ran close to Reigen and ducked down. He could shield me, maybe.

But only a second passed before Mob extended his arm and "zapped" it away, or something. I didn't know what I was seeing, but the shadow immediately dispersed and the crows flew away. The corn stalks that had withered actually returned to normal.

"You were right, master, it was weak." Mob had a gentle smile on his face. I was really in awe, honestly.

"So I guess you're not a fake." I said out loud, not really intending to.

"See? That's why you came with me." Reigen dumped out his kit and shoved it back into his bag. "You can see that-"

Him dumping out his soil kit like it was nothing raised a red flag. I cut him off. "Unless Mob here is the real deal and you're just using him...?"

"No! He needs me to help control his powers! How do you think he got so good at this stuff?"

Mob silently nodded his head, still faintly smiling. I just replied, "Okay."

We reassured the client that his problem was taken care of and he gifted us with quite a few packets of seeds, which was nice.

"See, Y/N, you even got a little payment out of it." Reigen beamed proudly. I guess he was happy to be able to demonstrate some real psychic stuff.

"Yeah." I smiled back. It was pretty cool to see, and it made me want to research Reigen and his business even more.

I relaxed more on the way home, and we exchanged phone numbers. Reigen seemed so involved in his work originally that he didn't even act like he wanted to be friends. Maybe being able to convert me into a "believer" was what he wanted to do first. I was still skeptical, but he did technically help the farmer out with his problem, so I figured he wasn't a totally bad guy. Maybe I could find out more about all these supernatural things.

"Just let me know if you have any problems. You can always tag along on a job again if you want!" Reigen offered.

"Thanks, Reigen. And Mob! The bike thing wasn't your fault, seriously."

"You sure you're okay biking back home so late?"

That was nice of him to ask. "Yeah, it's well-lit, I'll be safe. Bye!"

It was actually a good day. And I didn't get creeped out during the night either. I requested Reigen on Facebook, thinking maybe I'd scroll through it and find more about his supernatural business - but I quickly drifted off to sleep.